- Showtime for Apple: Big phones, smart watches and high expectations (Reuters)
- Bank of England Gov. Mark Carney Signals Spring Rate Rise (WSJ)
- Quebec Shows Scots Question Returns Even If Answer Is No (BBG)
- Hush money with a 9 year vesting period: Ex-SAC Fund Manager Martoma Sentenced to Nine Years in Prison (BBG)
- Dreams on hold, Brazil's 'new middle class' turns on Rousseff (Reuters)
- Fed to Hit Biggest U.S. Banks With Tougher Capital Surcharge (WSJ)
- Egypt court sentences Brotherhood leader, cleric to 20 years in jail (Reuters)
The most commonly used introduction in any Forex business for the past 3 years: "US or Non-US"
In the wake of the theft of private images from several prominent celebrities, many people are rightly wondering whether how vulnerable their data is. The answer appears to be “very,” and if you use Apple, the following article from Slate may leave you seething with a sense of anger and betrayal.
Google "grocery prices last 12 months" and it's post after post beginning with "Consumer prices rise" or "Rising food prices bite." One person who is happy about this is the New York Times’ Paul Krugman, for instead of being like Europe, that is “clearly in the grip of a deflationary vortex,” America only teeters on the edge of a general price plunge. “And there but for the grace of Bernanke go we,” writes the voice of Grey Lady economics wisdom. However, Mr. Krugman shouldn’t declare defeat to the deflationists just yet. Bankers are learning to say ‘yes’ again, and that means velocity and price increases.
- Euro left reeling after ECB's liquidity splurge (Reuters)
- Coalition Emerges to Battle Islamic State Militants (WSJ)
- Ukraine Gas Chief Takes on Gazprom in Race With Winter (BBG)
- Nato leaders fail to agree spending targets (FT)
- JPMorgan Had Exodus of Tech Talent Before Hacker Breach (BBG)
- Mercedes-Benz Sales Rise Despite Weak German Demand (WSJ)
- Secret Network Connects Harvard Money to Payday Loans (BBG)
- ICE looks to crack financial data market (FT)
Since the inception of Obamacare, Humana up more than 440% because just as cereal manufacturers decrease their costs by putting less cereal in the same box, health insurers have raised the deductibles and co-insurance.
When Americans talk about immigration, they picture those they want to keep out: undocumented people sneaking across the southern border. But, as Bloomberg's Kathleen Hunter reports, when U.S. businesses talk about immigration, they picture people they’d like to bring in: ones with science, math or technology skills, notable artists or those willing to pick tomatoes. The U.S. wants these immigrants. The 'other' immigration problem, then, is in deciding who and how many should be admitted.
- Confusion as Ukraine and Russia announce progress towards peace (Reuters)... but not for stock buying algos, they know everything
- Obama Expresses Skepticism About Possible Ukraine Cease-Fire (WSJ)
- Fighters Unwind in Russia Where Beer Doesn’t Spell Death (BBG)
- Despite dangers, U.S. journalist Sotloff was determined to record Arab Spring's human toll (Reuters)
- New Beheading Video Spurs Calls for Global Response (BBG)
- Christie’s Spending on Outside Lawyers Passes $50 Million (BBG)
- IEX to Apply for Exchange Status (WSJ)
- UK says not ruling out airstrikes against Islamic State, says hostage video genuine (Reuters)
Good corporate governance is a bedrock on which a company can let its intellectual creativity and innovation flourish. It is like a compost put into a vegetable patch for the spring planting.
- Obama Cools Talk of Strikes Against Islamic State in Iraq or Syria (WSJ)
- Separatists say will allow 'trapped' Ukrainian forces to withdraw (Reuters)
- Ukraine Fighting Surges as Russian-Backed Forces Gain (BBG)
- Missouri police sued for $40 million over actions in Ferguson protests (Reuters)
- BTFDividend stocks? Tesco Slumps as Retailer Slashes Dividend 75% on Forecast (BBG)
- In town halls, U.S. lawmakers hear voter anger over illegal migrants (Reuters)
- Obamacare’s Latest Threat Nears Turning Point in Court (BBG)
- Untangling the Mess of Austrian Bank Hypo (WSJ)
- The billion-dollar fall of the house of Espirito Santo (Reuters)
- Manhattan Condo Resale Prices Reach Record High (BBG)
- California Drought Squeezes Wells: State Considers Regulating Groundwater Use for First Time (WSJ)
That was quick! Last November Snapchat was valued at $2 billion in the private VC market; by Q1 that had risen to $7 billion; and yesterday it soared to $10 billion. Gaining $8 billion in market value in just nine months is quite a feat under any circumstance - but that’s especially notable if you’re are a company with no profits, no revenues and no business model. How much does it cost to manipulate an entire market? Apparently not much. And it’s getting cheaper!
"The de-escalation strategy with Moscow has failed," warns Joachim Krause, Director of the Institute for Security Studies, concluding ominously that "A war between Russia and the West... is a real possibility." As Handelsblatt reports, Krause states "we should not deny this reality any longer."
- Islamic State executes soldiers, takes hostages at Syria base (Reuters)
- Buffett Burger King Funds Flip Obama’s Inversion Calculus (BBG)
- Equities Reach Record $66 Trillion as S&P 500 Hits 2,000 (BBG)
- Central Banks Playing Own Version of Plaza-opoly With FX (BBG)
- Russia court closes McDonald's branch for 90 days (Reuters)
- Finland Says NATO an Option After Russia ‘Violates’ Border Laws (BBG)
- Netanyahu Hit With Domestic Criticism Over Gaza Truce (BBG)
- Biggest Danish Fund Readies for Rate Shock as Exit Narrows (BBG)
- Nonprofit Hospitals' Profits Fall (WSJ)
The National Security Agency is secretly providing data to nearly two dozen U.S. government agencies with a “Google-like” search engine built to share more than 850 billion records about phone calls, emails, cellphone locations, and internet chats, according to classified documents obtained by The Intercept.
- That will teach the UAE who's boss: U.S. Won’t Consult Syria on Militant Strikes: White House (BBG)
- Putin Set to Meet Poroshenko as Ukraine Tensions Escalate (BBG)... but the de-escalation algo?
- Tim Hortons’ Canadian Fans Squeamish of American Hookup (BBG)
- Israeli air strikes target more Gaza high-rises (Reuters)
- How Steve Ballmer Became a Rookie Basketball Mogul (WSJ)
- Buffett to Help Finance Burger King Tax-Saving Deal (BBG)
- U.S. Factories Keep Losing Ground to Global Rivals (WSJ)
- Boehner, Camp Profit From Corporate Bid to Avoid U.S. Tax (BBG)
- Experimental U.S. hypersonic weapon destroyed seconds after launch (Reuters)
- The Neo-Neocons (WSJ)