Presented with nothing but respect ahead of the US Midterm elections...
- To salvage his presidency, Obama faces pressure to reboot - but will he? (Reuters)
- Pro-Russian separatist Zakharchenko wins Ukraine rebel vote (Reuters)
- Russia's Recognition of Ukrainian Separatist Election Is 'Incomprehensible,' Germany Says (Moscow Times)
- Man Running World’s Biggest Wealth Fund Tackles China Riddle (BBG)
- Russian Supply Underpins Global Oil Glut (WSJ)
- Argentina accuses Procter & Gamble of tax fraud, says suspends operations (Reuters)
- ECB Skips Fireworks for Day One of New Role as Supervisor (BBG)
- HSBC Hit by $1.7 Billion of Provisions (WSJ)
"Solutions to the world's problems are not produced in a meeting between Bill Gates and George Soros... Renewal has to come from below... Limiting the influence [of the richest] is of the utmost importance... so that today's upper-class, high-finance capitalism can once again revert to being a capitalism of the real economy and the societal center."
- Futures rally after BOJ ramps up stimulus (Reuters), Japan's central bank shocks markets with more easing as inflation slows (Reuters)
- Kuroda Jolts Markets With Assault on Deflation Mindset (BBG)
- Japan Mega-Pension Shifts to Stocks (WSJ)
- Russia Raises Interest Rates (WSJ)
- Oil-Price Drop Has Saudi Officials Divided (WSJ)
- Not anymore, the BOJ is here: Fed Exit Could Spark Slump in All Markets, ATP CEO Says (BBG)
- Wal-Mart Weighs Matching Online Prices from Amazon (WSJ)
- Euro-Area Inflation Picks Up From Five-Year Low on Stimulus (BBG)
- Big Banks Brace for Penalties in Probes (WSJ)
- Ex-UBS Trader Defense Could Be Threat to U.S. Forex Cases (BBG)
"Since 9/11, those thank yous have been aimed at veterans with the regularity of the machine gun fire that may still haunt their dreams. Veterans have also been offered special consideration when it comes to applications for mostly menial jobs so that they can “utilize the skills” they learned in the military. While they continue to march in those welcome home parades and have concerts organized in their honor, the thank yous are in no short supply. The only question that never seems to come up is: What exactly are they being thanked for?"
At the midpoint between our two houses is a funeral home which, oddly, Marissa Mayer decided to buy a couple of years ago.........
How does it feel to live under a government that is getting even more paranoid with each passing day? The American people are told that the emerging Big Brother police state is for our safety, but the truth is that it isn’t there to protect us. It is there to protect them.
Despite the mainstream media's effusive celebration of ApplePay - despite numerous payment systems and NFC devices alreadt existing and failing to achieve any paradigm shift - it appears Tim Cook has pushed his company into an area of competition he was not full prepared for. Seemingly expecting the world's retailers to embrace the 'unique' payment system, first Wal-Mart & Best Buy, then CVS and now Rite-Aid have all blocked ApplePay. While proclaiming the success of signing up over a million credit card users in the first 72 hours, Cook seemed ticked off at the retailers who blocked him, "it's a skirmish," he said, as Reuters reports, jabbing "merchants have different objectives sometimes. But in the long arc of time, you only are relevant as a retailer or merchant if your customers love you."
- White House questions new Ebola rules, nurse plans to sue (Reuters)
- States stand firm on Ebola quarantines despite White House pressure (Reuters)
- Rousseff Naming Brazil Finance Minister Key to Regain Trust (BBG)
- Ukraine leader wins pro-West mandate but wary of Russia (Reuters)
- Single Firm Holds More Than 50% of Copper in LME Warehouses (WSJ)
- Treasury Liquidity Squeeze Seen as Dealer Shut Off Machine (BBG)
- CVS follows Rite-Aid, shuts off Apple Pay (USAToday)
- Oil Speculators Bet Wrong as Rebound Proves Fleeting (BBG)
- Draghi Sets Stimulus Pace as ECB Reveals Covered-Bond Purchases (BBG)
- German Ifo Business Confidence Drops for Sixth Month (BBG)
When stock prices go all wonky, as they have in recent days, it pays to think a little about what really moves asset prices and determines long term business success. For ConvergEx's Nick Colas, the key driver has been – and always will be – return on capital. What investment analysts know as the DuPont model is now 100 years old, but its lessons and applications still drive innovation today.
We are now less than a year away from the day when Robert Zemeckis and Michael J. Fox inspired an entire generation to expect nothing less from 2015 than flying cars. Sadly, as a result of the past 6 years of human "progress" being redirected to finding creative ways of preserving crony capitalism, the failed way of Keynesian life and masking insolvent banks as lipsticked pigs, the only automotive question we have of 2015 is whether there are any GM cars that haven't been recalled; cars which one hopes will never be airborne. And yet, there is one aspect of 2015 that the Back to the Future trilogy may have gotten correct: that "other" thing which every 80's kid wants to have more than anything: hoverboards.
“More than Forgiven, This Evil Must Be CURED”
- Doctor with Ebola in New York hospital after return from Guinea (Reuters)
- Ebola Puts Spotlight on Bellevue, Key NYC Trauma Center (WSJ)
- Uber Driver Transported Ebola-Positive Doctor in New York (BBG)
- GOP Gains in Key Senate Races as Gender Gap Narrows (WSJ)
- ECB Tries for Third Time Lucky in European Stress Tests (BBG)
- Security tight in Canada as police probe Parliament gunman's ties (Reuters)
- Why Madrid's poor fear Goldman Sachs and Blackstone (Reuters)
- Fed’s $4 Trillion Holdings Keep Boosting Growth Beyond End of QE (BBG)
As Brookings notes, "overall the economic devastation would be difficult to exaggerate," with regard the shift from print to online journalism - as the following chart sums up in all its devastating reality... it's a new world.
Apple's RDF Is Quickly Diffused by Simple Arithmetic - Why Can't Sell Side Wall Street Do Simple Arithmetic???Submitted by Reggie Middleton on 10/22/2014 13:45 -0500
Once again it's Sell Side Wall Street vs the Contrarian - Reggie Middleton! Pull the RDF (Reality Distortion Field) off of Apple's new payment system (or even their new phones) and you see revealed overpriced products and services nestled in dated technology and sparse distribution relative to its competitors.