Even if you never intended to offend anyone and you had no idea that your words were insulting, in some countries you can be detained without bail and sentenced to years in prison for such speech. Today, there are highly restrictive hate speech laws in Canada, in Mexico and in virtually every single European nation. The United States is still an exception, but the truth is that our liberties and freedoms are being eroded every single day, and it is only a matter of time until “hate speech laws” are used to take away our freedom of speech too.
The oil price collapse of 2014-2015 began one year ago this month (Figure 1). The world crossed a boundary in which prices are not only lower now but will probably remain lower for some time. It represents a phase change like when water turns into ice: the composition is the same as before but the physical state and governing laws are different. The market must balance before things get better and prices improve. That can only happen if production falls and demand increases. That will take time. The most likely case is that oil prices will decrease in the second half of 2015 and that financial distress to all oil producers will increase. The hope and expectation that the worst is over will fade as the new reality of prolonged low oil prices is reluctantly accepted.
The Export-Import Bank died last night when its charter expired. After 81 years, what is commonly known as Boeing’s Bank is headed toward Washington’s trash bin. When Congress returns it could revive Ex-Im, which primarily subsidizes big business exports. But a proper burial for what Barack Obama once called “corporate welfare” would save Americans money, reduce economic injustice, and promote economic growth. Ex-Im’s closure is a very rare victory for the good guys in Washington. Crony capitalism is running rampant in America, undermining confidence in a market economy.
In the race to get to the top what does it matter that we destroy the planet along the way?
*IMF SAYS GREECE FAILED TO MAKE PAYMENT DUE TUESDAY
*IMF BOARD INFORMED THAT GREECE IS NOW IN ARREARS
- China’s Stocks Enter Bear Market as Rate Cut Fails to Stop Rout (BBG)
- Stocks Tumble Around the World on Greek Crisis (WSJ)
- Some say back to the drachma for a Greek reboot (Reuters)
- Greece Imposes Capital Controls as Fears of Grexit Grow (BBG)
- Panic Sets in Among Hardy Hedge Fund Investors Remaining in Greece (NYT)
- Euro off Greece-driven lows after SNB intervenes (Reuters)
- Western Union to close in Greece for rest of week (Reuters)
- European banks, bonds shaken by Greek turmoil (Reuters)
This is it, warns one water advocate, "it really does (make critical) the fact that we have to start changing." Lake Mead water levels have sunk to their lowest levels on record (below the levels when the dam was built) at 1075 feet. This is a major problem, as USA Today reports, since Las Vegas water authority's current "straws" glean water from 1,050 feet and 1,000 feet - leaving the first straw just 25 feet away from pulling in air. With the drought only set to get worse as the summer begins, the water wars are just beginning as Lower-basin states are still taking more than the river system can sustain.
Today's Lesson: If you ever find yourself with $300 million in illegal gains, don't fly commercial.
Echoing the era of McCarthyism, Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) files obtained by Judicial Watch reveal that the dad, maternal grandpa and father-in-law of President Obama’s trusted senior advisor, Valerie Jarrett, were hardcore Communists under investigation by the U.S. government.
Among countries with relatively high Human Development Index scores, the number of African Americans killed per 100,000 people in the US each year is around 12 times the average for all people in developed countries and is comparable to the homicide rate in Rwanda and Mexico.
- Greek PM sticks to hard line as contagion hits euro zone bonds (Reuters)
- Greek Deadlock Has Leader Hoping for Miracle to Avoid Default (BBG)
- Greek Showdown Puts Merkel's Teflon Legacy at Risk (BBG)
- Greek standoff saps Europe, dollar swings ahead of Fed (Reuters)
- Allianz Increased Holdings of Greek Debt as Its Largest Investor (BBG)
- French Bonds Infected as Greek Crisis Swells Euro-Region Spreads (BBG)
- Statoil to cut 1,500 more jobs as savings drive intensifies (FT)
- UnitedHealth, Anthem Seek to Buy Smaller Rivals (WSJ)
- Five Million Reasons Why China Could Go to War (BBG)
Markets don’t always behave rationally. Oil prices do not always reflect fundamentals like supply and demand. Over time, however, markets come into balance with fundamentals. Right now, oil prices are profoundly out of balance with fundamentals. Look for a correction.
Is something really big about to happen?
“Until they become conscious, they will never rebel, and until after they have rebelled, they cannot become conscious.” - George Orwell
It’s a shell game intended to keep us focused on and distracted by all of the politically expedient things that are being said - about militarized police, surveillance, and government corruption - while the government continues to frogmarch us down the road toward outright tyranny.