The further you go towards the tails of the bell curve, the more similar social characteristics. In a society that has been even more polarized, we increasingly see similarities between the very wealthy, and the very poor. The declining middle class is more and more a world of it's own (as the elite used to be).
In Summary, the Superclass "Elite" UHNWI and the ultra poor have the following in common:
- Brussels on Edge as Lockdown Continues (WSJ)
- Stocks Pare Decline as Crude Oil Erases Drop on Saudi Comments (BBG)
- Italy’s Eni Plans to Pump Arctic Oil, After Others Abandon the Field (WSJ)
- Treasuries Decline as Economists Say GDP to Be Revised Higher (BBG)
- Why the Housing Rebound Hasn’t Lifted the U.S. Economy Much (WSJ)
- Argentina Fever Is Back for Investors as Kirchner Rival Triumphs (BBG)
The idea that hard work leads to prosperity is increasingly becoming an American pipe dream, in some places more than others.
"The Department disagrees with the Fifth Circuit’s adverse ruling and intends to seek further review from the Supreme Court of the United States."
Today the FBI released its latest background check data - a proxy for total gun sales in the United States as most gun purchases require a background check - in which we find that, as expected, Obama's latest threat to implement stricter gun controls backfried once more, and the month of October saw a record number of background checks. The same was true for September, August, and so on: in fact, October the sixth consecutive month to see a record number of checks.
The bottom line: the gross profit from a "flip" in any of these 20 markets will result in an average profit of just over 102% in as little under 7 months. Good luck.
Just as was evidenced after the 2007 shootings at Virginia Tech, after Columbine and Tucson in 2011, and following the theater shootings in Aurora, Colorado in 2012, US gun sales have soared following the mass-shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon, which killed 10 people and injured seven others. As The FT reports, gun sales this year could surpass the record set in 2013, when gun purchases surged after the December 2012 Sandy Hook murders.
Something is afoot as de-dollarization escalates around the world. With CNY/RUB trading volumes up a stunning 400% year-over-year to record highs, and hot on the heels of China's (and much of EM Asia) dumping dollar assets, Russian President Vladimir Putin has just unleashed a new bill aiming to completely eliminate the US dollar from the trade of goods.
- Stock Halts Added to Monday’s Market Chaos (WSJ)
- Fed Up Investors Yank Cash From Almost Everything Just Like 2008 (BBG)
- Drop in Stock Futures Signal Halt to S&P 500's Relief Rally (BBG) - at least until the BOJ ramps USDJPY up again
- Hacker Killed by Drone Was Islamic State’s ‘Secret Weapon’ (WSJ)
- Greece's Syriza to win election but face setback, poll shows (Reuters)
- Puerto Rico Spends More Than $60 Million on Debt Restructuring (BBG)
- Virginia TV journalists killed by suspect with 'powder keg' of anger (Reuters)
- Policeman shot to death and three women stabbed, one fatally, in Louisiana (Reuters)
- China Intervened Today to Shore Up Stocks Ahead of Military Parade (Reuters)
- Margin Calls Bite Investors, Banks (WSJ)
- "Computer glitch" is preventing dozens of mutual funds, ETFs from promptly pricing their securities (WSJ)
- Oil prices rise more than 4 percent as equities rally (Reuters)
- Oil Industry Needs Half a Trillion Dollars to Endure Price Slump (BBG)
Donald Trump is holding a campaign rally at a football stadium. Enough said.
Don’t let anyone tell you that crime is going down in America. All over the United States, rates of violent crime in our major cities are increasing by double digit percentages. Murders are way up, shootings are way up and rapes are way up. So what is behind this sudden spike in crime? In Baltimore, authorities are pointing to the racial tensions that were stirred up by the riots that erupted in protest to the death of Freddie Gray. But what about the rest of the country? From coast to coast, we are witnessing a dramatic increase in violent crime, and the economy is not even crashing yet. So what is going to happen when the next great economic crisis hits us, unemployment skyrockets, and people really start hurting?
There's Always Been Some Corruption in the U.S. ... But Never Like THIS
Ever wondered what life would be like if a country actually disappeared off the face of the planet or at least transformed into something else?