New York State
Republicans should give Mayor Mike every encouragement to enter the race. For though he threatens to spend a billion dollars of his own money to buy the presidency, his name on the ballot as a third-party candidate could send the Democratic nominee straight down to Davy Jones’s locker. With Bloomberg siphoning off millions of liberal votes, Democrats would not only lose red states they customarily write off, winning solid blue states would require a far steeper climb.
“You are in a position to make 20 percent to 30 percent on your position in the fund. Why wouldn’t you buy in at Libor-plus to leverage that up?”
When it comes to political entertainment, it doesn’t get much better than presidential election season in the United States. Edward Bernays, the father of modern public relations, examined it in 1928, in his book Propaganda. "Politics was the first big business in America,” he declared, and political campaigns are “all side shows, all honors, all bombast, glitter, and speeches.” The key to victory is the manipulation of public opinion, and that is achieved most effectively by appealing to the "mental clichés and emotional habits of the public."
Update: just minutes after the WPIX report, the WNBC chief investigative reporter Jonathan Dienst said that there is no new specific threat to New York City.
A “credible threat” has been lodged against New York City, days ahead of Christmas and during an especially busy time of the year when tourists flock to the Big Apple, law enforcement sources told PIX11 News Tuesday.
Since mid-2014 the Pentagon has run all manner of war games – as many as 16 times, under different scenarios – pitting NATO against Russia. All scenarios were favorable to NATO. All simulations yielded the same victor: Russia. And that’s why Erdogan’s erratic behavior actually terrifies quite a few real players from Washington to Brussels.
In what is possibly the most inane political statement ever, U.S. Senator Charles Schumer and Governor Andrew M. Cuomo today announced a push to prevent known or suspected terrorists from purchasing guns in New York State. Schumer and Cuomo areasking the federal government to officially add the U.S. Terror Watch List to the criteria it uses for federal background checks in New York State, exclaiming "we need to move to close the Terror Gap once and for all."
"What you're going to hear from him is a discussion about what government is doing to ensure all of our highest priority — the protection of the American people," the US attorney general said. Lynch's staff later confirmed that the president will specifically call on Congress to review certain gun control measures. And since Congress has long ago given up on taking action in a world in which the Fed's Chairman/woman is expected to "get to work", it will again be up to an Obama executive order to restore peace to the land by continuing his crusade against the Second amendment.
A democratic sheriff from New York State's Ulster Country, Paul Van Blarcum, asked residents in his county to carry their legal guns in the wake of a mass shooting in California that has reignited a national conversation about gun control. "In light of recent events that have occurred in the United States and around the world I want to encourage citizens of Ulster County who are licensed to carry a firearm to PLEASE DO SO," Ulster County Sheriff Paul J. Van Blarcum wrote on Facebook Thursday. "I urge you to responsibly take advantage of your legal right to carry a firearm."
- Global Stocks Edge Higher on Expected ECB Stimulus (WSJ)
- Moment of truth as Puerto Rico faces crucial debt payment (Reuters)
- Obama urges Turkey to reduce tensions with Russia, stresses support (Reuters)
- Russian Media Takes Aim at Turkey (WSJ)
- Support Grows for U.S. Commando Raids to Fight Islamic State (BBG)
- Yuan Drops as SDR Approval Seen Prompting PBOC to Reduce Support (BBG)
- GOP debate winners and losers (Hill)
- European Stocks Rise as Dollar Weakens; Metals Decline on China (BBG)
- Global shares shrug off mixed China data, copper teeters near six-year low (Reuters)
- Fed's Evans: Looking forward to time when Fed can raise rates (Reuters)
- Alibaba’s Global Ambitions Face Counterfeit Challenge (WSJ)
- China Rebalancing Takes Hold as Output Slows, Retail Jumps (BBG)
"All. Bets. Are. Off"...
- Global Stocks Slip Lower (WSJ)
- Dollar sits pretty, bond yields rise as Fed bets firm (Reuters)
- Takeover Loans Have Few Takers on Wall Street (WSJ)
- Chinese Buyers Seek Dollar Assets as Promise of Yuan Gains Fades (BBG)
- Banking Giants Learn Cost of Preventing Another Lehman Moment (BBG)
- Eurozone Finance Ministers Won’t Release $2.15 billion Loan to Greece (WSJ)
It is now open season on "climate change deniers" everywhere.
In a "difficult but necessary" decision, Kraft-Heinz will cut 2,600 jobs in the latest post-mega-merger "synergy" bloodbath. Thanks Warren.
JP Morgan & Morgan Stanley Have Their CEOs on the Board of the NY Fed: Regulatory Capture & How to Neutralize ItSubmitted by Reggie Middleton on 11/03/2015 08:38 -0500
Is having the CEOs of two of the largest, most powerful banks sit on the board of their own regulator literally worse than putting a fox in charge of the hen house? Here's why the name "Morgan" get's you a regulator board seat and what regular people can do about it.