For the first time in three years and before that the recession, the total volume of freight moved by road, rail, pipeline, inland waterways and air has fallen Y/Y. Meanwhile, on the high seas, the Baltic Dry has collapsed under 400.
- Crude sinks 4 percent as market braces for more Iranian oil (Reuters)
- Plunge in crude oil prices send stock futures sliding (Reuters)
- Oil Slides, Deepening Gloom in Stocks as Bond Buyers Celebrate (BBG)
- China Stocks Enter Bear Market, Erasing Gains From State Rescue (BBG)
- Friendly no more: Trump, Cruz erupt in bitter fight at Republican debate (Reuters)
- Dollar in Best Run Since July on Haven Bid Even as Fed Odds Fall (BBG)
It's been a roller coaster year for China's legions of semi-literate day traders who have seen the heights of feast and the depths of famine with Chinese equities over the past 12 months. Now, in the wake of more volatility, many Chinese retail investors are throwing in the towel.
For the banksters, one “free” gold market would be one too many.
At Berkshire’s annual meeting last May, Buffett said he made “no apologies whatsoever” about Clayton’s “exemplary” lending, in response to a question about an earlier Seattle Times story saying that Clayton trapped borrowers into unaffordable loans on depreciating homes. Well it seems the billionaire will need to send some more donations in as yesterday, four members of Congress sent a joint letter demanding an investigation into predatory practices at Warren Buffett’s mobile home unit Clayton Homes.
- Islamic State launches militant assault on Indonesia's capital (Reuters)
- Three winners emerge in $1.6 billion Powerball jackpot (Reuters)
- European Stocks Tumble, Credit Markets Weaken on Growth Concern (BBG)
- Stocks and commodity currencies floored by new oil plunge (Reuters)
- China Bear Market Looms as PBOC Fails to Stop Flight to Safety (BBG)
- Anxious phone calls, tense moments before Iran's Supreme Leader okayed U.S. sailors' release (Reuters)
European shares tumbled, wiping out gains from a two-day rally, Asian stocks slid and the cost of insuring corporate debt rose as investor concern over global growth prospects resurfaced. U.S. equity-index futures pared gains of as much as 0.9 percent. Government bonds rose, with yields falling to records in Japan and China amid anxiety over the world economy. U.S. crude prices stabilized after dropping below $30 a barrel on Tuesday to touch the lowest since 2003 as Iran moved closer to boosting exports.
The man who killed 10 German tourists on Tuesday in a brazen suicide attack in Istanbul has been identified as one Nabil Fadli, a ISIS-linked , Saudi-born operative who entered Turkey just last week as a Syrian refugee.
The latest diplomatic spat to divide the EU worsened materially on Wedensday when Brussels opened an official inquiry into new media laws enacted in Poland. Although the laws have drawn criticism domestically as well as abroad, the Polish government views the probe as a violation of sovereignty by an increasingly intrusive Berlin.
The rift between Saudi Arabia and Iran has quickly ballooned into the worst conflict in decades between the two countries. The effect from the brewing conflict on oil is murky, but for now it is not having a bullish impact. But what if the current “Cold War” between Saudi Arabia and Iran turned hot?
The ongoing drama between SunEdison and Terraform Power and Appaloosa's David Tepper just escalated yet again. The stock plunged 15% after an initial halt but is now halted once again as Tepper says "immediate action is needed" as he sues the firm to block the firm's 'nepotistic' deal to acquire Vivint assets, having previously warned SUNE is "self-dealing."
- China trade surprise brings relief (Reuters)
- Obama knocks Trump, voices optimism (Reuters)
- Republican Candidates Criticize Obama’s State of the Union Address (WSJ)
- Republicans and Democrats Agree: We Hate Wall Street (WSJ)
- Oil rises for first time in eight sessions on China, U.S. stocks draw (Reuters)
- U.S. Exports First Freely Traded Oil in 40 Years (WSJ)
- China Imports Record Crude as Price Crash Accelerates Buying (BBG)
"Not wearing the kippa can save lives and nothing is more important. It really hurts to reach that point but I don't want anyone to die in Marseille because they have a kippa on their head."
"If I were a returning jihadi, I would smuggle myself in amongst this group; you would easily get lost." "That's the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard".