Obamaworld is gone. We live again in an us-versus-them country in an us-versus-them world. And we shall likely never know another.
People are scared. They're scared to be accused of bigotry or racism, an ugly accusation that is easy to level but impossible to disprove. It's a lazy but effective method of intimidation.
Today marks a “major change in trend of monumental proportions," according to Martin Armstrong. The government will start to lose control and the lurking monster that is excess debt will rear its head. Today is the start of the "real" sovereign debt crisis - "this concentration of confidence in government marks the peak - from here on out, this will not be a video game - this is real."
“Unless we get up off our fat surpluses and recognize that television in the main is being used to distract, delude, amuse, and insulate us, then television and those who finance it, those who look at it, and those who work at it, may see a totally different picture too late.”
- Jobs Report Could Seal the Deal on Rates (WSJ)
- The Jobs Report and the August Curse: Jobs Day Guide (BBG)
- Migrants hold out on Hungarian 'freedom train'; Orban says millions coming (Reuters)
- Migrant Crisis Divides Europe (WSJ)
- German industry orders fall in July on weak foreign demand (Reuters)
- Alibaba’s Jack Ma, Joe Tsai to Borrow $2 Billion Against Shares (WSJ)
- U.K. Retailers Post Worst Sales Decline Since Financial Crisis (BBG)
The Colorado Appeals Court ruled that the owners of a bakery do not have any right to control their property, and that they shall be forced to provide bakery services to a couple that the owner would rather not do business with. In other words, they have no property rights.
If a family disagreed as broadly as we Americans do on issues so fundamental as right and wrong, good and evil, the family would fall apart, the couple would divorce, and the children would go their separate ways. Something like that is happening in the country. A secession of the heart has already taken place in America, and a secession, not of states, but of people from one another, caused by divisions on social, moral, cultural, and political views and values, is taking place. America is disuniting.
- Greece and China expose limits of 'whatever it takes' (Reuters)
- China no longer has a market: China Stock Sellers Frozen Out of 71% of Market (BBG)
- China’s Market Rescue Makes Matters Worse as Prices Lose Meaning (BBG)
- China Stocks Plunge as State Support Fails to Revive Confidence (BBG)
- China Market Rout Spreads From Stocks to Price of Pig Food (BBG)
- China’s State-Owned Firms Ordered Not to Cut Share Holdings (BBG)
- Greece Requests Three-Year Bailout in First Step Toward Meeting Creditors’ Demand (WSJ)
- Greece Faces Euro Exit Unless Demands Accepted by Sunday (BBG)
- China’s Stocks Enter Bear Market as Rate Cut Fails to Stop Rout (BBG)
- Stocks Tumble Around the World on Greek Crisis (WSJ)
- Some say back to the drachma for a Greek reboot (Reuters)
- Greece Imposes Capital Controls as Fears of Grexit Grow (BBG)
- Panic Sets in Among Hardy Hedge Fund Investors Remaining in Greece (NYT)
- Euro off Greece-driven lows after SNB intervenes (Reuters)
- Western Union to close in Greece for rest of week (Reuters)
- European banks, bonds shaken by Greek turmoil (Reuters)
Following yesterday's historic 6:3 Supreme Court decision enshrining the tax known as Obamacare, there was little surprise moments ago when in one of its last remaining decisions in re: Obergefell v. Hodges, the most liberal Supreme Court since 1960 just declared gay marriage legal nationwide. The decision, supported by all the women on the SCOTUS, came down in a 5:4 vote with Ginsburg, Sotomayor, Kagan, Breyer and Kenedy voting for, while Roberts, Scalia, Thomas and Alito dissented.
This is how fast America changes its mind...
One of the most consistent debates emanating out of Washington in the past 6 years has been that dealing with income tax. Whether high, low, "fair" or "unfair", said discussions, however, focus solely on tax paid at the Federal level, and largely ignore that "other" key tax: state. Which is surprising, considering some states such as California demand a total contribution amounting to a third of the highest marginal Federal tax bracket, which could make some wonder if those bracing sea breezes are really worth it. But what about the other states? Here is the full breakdown of the states with the top income tax rates, those with the lowest, and all the states inbetween.
That America has - or perhaps more accurately that the administration is desperate to create - a wealth divide, gender divide, and certainly ethnic divide, is hardly a secret. Yet all of those may pale in comparison to the transformation that the US is undergoing currently, according to the most recent Pew research study, one which finds that the world's one time superpower, is in the midst of two slow-motion dramas right now. "Our population is becoming majority non-white at the same time a record share is going gray. Each of these shifts would by itself be the defining demographic story of its era. The fact that both are unfolding simultaneously has generated big generation gaps that will put stress on our politics, families, pocketbooks, entitlement programs and social cohesion.
- Here comes JPM's next multibillion legal reserve: Federal Probe Targets Banks Over Bonds (WSJ)
- Mulally Bows Out of Microsoft CEO Race, Staying at Ford (BBG)
- United States sending more troops and tanks to South Korea (Reuters)
- Eurozone unemployment sticks at record high (FT)
- China-Japan 'Voldemort' attacks up ante in propaganda war (Reuters)
- Alternative Lenders Peddle Pricey Commercial Loans (WSJ)
- John McAfee: glad Intel dropping name from security software (Reuters)
- Jobless Benefits Bill Stays Alive Amid Talks on Offsets (BBG)
- Chicago Colder Than South Pole as Frigid Air Clamps Down (BBG)
- Former Miss Venezuela shot dead in attempted robbery (Reuters)