Florida Town Buys 9-Ton Emergency TK-4 Tactical Vehicle to “Provide Residents Extra Protection During Hurricanes”
Palm Beach Gardens Buys 9-Ton Emergency TK-4 Tactical Vehicle to "Provide Residents Extra Protection During Hurricanes"
What a way to pitch this new purchase by PB Gardens for a new "rescue/emergency/communications vehicle" while a hurricane is bearing down on Florida...
From the Palm Beach Post...
Weighing 9 tons and capable of withstanding 100-mph winds, a rescue/emergency/communications vehicle bought by the city for $175,000 is expected to provide residents with extra protection during hurricanes and other dangerous situations.
“It’s a great city and regional tool. We used it on several emergency calls here and in other cities in north county,” said Mayor David Levy.
The 20-foot-long All-Hazard Special Response Vehicle, also known as the TK-4, was used by Gardens police on a trial basis for about three weeks in July. Several other South Florida communities considering buying a TK-4 also used the vehicle, said Chris Light, president of Armored Solutions Inc., the Pittsfield, Mass.-based company that manufactures the vehicles.
The TK-4 is now back in Pittsfield where company employees are adding a winch to lift trees and other heavy debris and a night camera. The vehicle should be delivered to Gardens just after Labor Day, Light said.
The article then goes on to say...
Up to 10 people can fit inside the vehicle. That will give Gardens flexibility in using the TK-4 to handle different emergencies from SWAT team emergencies to lifting fallen trees, Light said.
Like they are going to send this thing out to move a fallen tree.
Some additional features listed by the PB Post...
- Equipped with winch to lift trees and other debris
- Has 3-inch thick laminated glass windows
- Withstands 100-mph winds
- Travels up to 65 mph
- Has search lights
- Can withstand 50-caliber bullets
- Has 20-year life expectancy
Interestingly, the Palm Beach Post left out some of the vehicles best features.
The ASI TK-4 is an armored SWAT vehicle designed to accommodate up to 10 tactical officers. With armor piercing protection, the TK-4 can maintain highway speed, and 4-wheel drive is standard equipment for use on unstable terrain.
- The TK-4 roof hatch has armor piercing shield protection, and ASI’s exterior sniper gun port gives the team a clear view to any impending threat. A rotating turret has a 360° turning radius. The interior sniper step allows easy access to the roof.
- The TK-4 is standard with ASI’s "outrigger" extended running boards that allow the tactical team additional solid footing while riding on the exterior of the vehicle.
- All TK-4 front doors have the capability to lock open at a 90° angle as well as a 45° angle allowing the team shield coverage. ASI’s gap shield with armor piercing protection gives complete door coverage at all angles.
Some Additional STANDARD Features on the TK-4
- The TK-4 emergency package includes a 200 watt siren PA system, front and rear Wig-Wag and front and rear alternating red and blue strobe lights.
- Upgraded suspension and tires.
- An after-market AC with an additional condenser is installed. This in conjunction with the TK-4 Insulated walls and ceiling helps keep interior climate control stabilized.
- The TK-4 has 11 ASI machined exterior gun ports: 8 standard gun ports and 3 sniper gun ports with a 7” opening for sniper rifles.
- The TK-4 360° protection includes the engine compartment, fire wall and fuel tank.
So there you have it. A perfect vehicle for rescuing kittens that are stuck in fallen trees during a hurricane...
You can check out the vehicles website here...
Love the guy at the top of their webpage...
I bet he loves kittens...