Following the massacre of 43 students who were allegedly abducted by corrupt police in southwestern Mexico in September, violent anti-establishment protests have broken out across the nation. As Reuters reports, [7] demonstrators set fire to the door of Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto's ceremonial palace in Mexico City as the Mexican people are angered at Nieto's visit to China (at a time when he should, in their eyes, be focused on domestic issues).
The violence has been condemned, "You can't demand justice while acting with violence," said Nieto but it seems the people's restlessness is growing - not helped by the cancellation of a high-speed rail contract last week as opposition lawmakers accused the government of rigging the bidding.
Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto on Sunday condemned violent protests over the apparent massacre of 43 students after demonstrators set fire to the door of his ceremonial palace in Mexico City on Saturday night.
Tens of thousands of Mexicans have taken to the streets to protest the government's handling of the case of the missing students, and last night protesters in central Mexico City set fire to the door of the National Palace.
"It's unacceptable that someone should try to use this tragedy to justify violence," Pena Nieto told reporters at the airport in Anchorage, Alaska where he was en route to China. "You can't demand justice while acting with violence."
The students were abducted by corrupt police in southwestern Mexico in September. Though the government said on Friday it looked as though the students had been killed, then incinerated by gangsters working with the police, it stopped short of confirming their deaths for lack of definitive evidence.
Pena Nieto's trip to China has infuriated protesters and relatives of the students, who believe he cares more about Mexico's business interests than trying to deal with the gang violence that has ravaged much of the country for years.
The trip to China has faced problems since before it began.
On Thursday night, Mexico abruptly canceled a $3.75 billion contract to build a high-speed train line that it had awarded to a Chinese-led consortium after opposition lawmakers accused the government of rigging the process.
* * *
Consequences? Maybe... It's not just Mexico City though, as protests break out in Acapulco of all places...
Normalistas armados con machetes, garrotes y piedas, además reparten bombas molotov entre ellos. #Acapulco [10] #Guerrero [11] pic.twitter.com/Rd0eMlBBAG [12]
— Noticieros Enlace MM (@EnEnlace) November 10, 2014 [13]
Normalistas y padres negocian el paso en el bulevar de las naciones para efectuar su manifestación #Acapulco [10] pic.twitter.com/TF3hNch6Rj [14]
— Somos el Medio (@Somoselmedio) November 10, 2014 [15]


