- Greece faces last chance to stay in euro as cash runs out (Reuters)
- Tsipras Begins Brussels Campaign to Keep Greece Inside the Euro (BBG)
- Greek Crisis Shows How Germany’s Power Polarizes Europe (WSJ)
- Eurogroup Head Dijsselbloem Calls for ‘Credible’ Greece Package (BBG)
- Europe Not Playing ‘Domino Theory’ Leaves Markets Calm on Greece (BBG)
- China stocks fall again despite support measures (Reuters)
- Chinese Trading Suspensions Freeze $1.4 Trillion of Shares Amid Rout (BBG)
- Crude Creeps Higher After Downturn (WSJ)
Germany’s financial regulator says departing Deutsche Bank co-CEO Anshu Jain may have lied to the Bundesbank about LIBOR manipulation when he apparently denied having any knowledge of rumors that the fixes may have been fixed (so to speak) even as his inbox told a different story.
According to the IG's deputy Timothy Camus, two "lower-graded" employees at the IRS center in Martinsburg, West Virginia, erased 422 computer backup tapes that contained as many as 24,000 emails to and from former IRS official Lois Lerner. It gets better: the tapes were erased in March 2014, months after congressional investigators requested all of Lerner's emails, and months after Zero Hedge, among many others, said to simply track down the server back ups. And the punchline: according to George, the workers might be incompetent, a lead investigator said Thursday, but there is no evidence they were part of a criminal conspiracy to destroy evidence.
“Systemic risk is in the system [and] we are in uncharted territory. Think about holding other assets. That could mean precious metals, it could mean physical currencies.”
Tom Hayes told prosecutors in 2013 that UBS Group AG distributed "an instruction manual on fixing Libor" to suit their trading positions. The Swiss bank’s e-mailed “Guide to Publishing Libor Rates,” which was shown to jurors by prosecutors in London Thursday, included an instruction for traders to adjust their submissions depending on their “delta/fixing position.” “If 3m Libor” exposure “is 4,125 this means we are receiving” and “therefore we want to increase the fixing by 25 basis points,” according to the internal UBS guide. “If the number is negative then vice-versa.”
The key events on tap for next week.
Looking back at the Lehman Brothers collapse of 2008, it’s amazing how quickly it all happened. In hindsight there were a few early-warning signs, but the true scale of the disaster publicly unfolded only in the final moments before it became apparent that Lehman was doomed. Could this happen to Deutsche Bank?
Approximately two years ago, a commentary was published entitled “The One Bank”. The empirical foundation for the article (and the paradigm) was an extensive computer model, produced by a trio of academics at a university in Switzerland, and originally reviewed in an article from Forbes.
Elizabeth Warren may or may not understand the "global banking system" as Jamie Dimon alleges, but the JPM CEO certainly does as the following 14 "reasons" clearly confirm...
David Nicholls: “Banks do not collude to try to set a Libor rating. “I think I am just hearing a lot of hysteria about Libor that is just misinformed."
John Ewan: “A cabal of them could.”
Nicholls: “What’s a cabal?”
Ewan: “A group together could."
Nicholls: “That’s an interesting conspiracy theory."
- Greece Said to Submit Revised Budget Plan in Bid for Funding (BBG)
- Protesters seek firing of Texas officer who threw girl to ground (Reuters)
- HSBC to cut 50,000 jobs in quest for higher dividends (Reuters)
- U.S. base shipped live anthrax to 19 states plus D.C.: Pentagon (Reuters)
- Obama Administration Opens Door for More Student-Debt Forgiveness (WSJ)
- China Said to Weigh Margin Finance Rule Change Amid Stock Boom (BBG)
- Doctor who trained U.S. troops suspended for macabre techniques (Reuters)
- Exxon to Face Regulators’ Questions Over Quakes (WSJ)
Earleir today in confirmation that a crack down on yet another market for gross manipulation is imminent, the Post reported that the Department of Justice fresh from doing all it can do prevent Vladimir Putin from blowing $10 billion in the bottomless hole that is World Cup 2018 infrastructure spending, is probing the Treasury market for possible manipulation.
- White House denies Obama said strong dollar a problem (Reuters)
- Lira Falls to Record Amid Stock Rout as AK Party Loses Majority (BBG)
- Bond-Market Game of Chicken With Fed Is Riskier Than Ever (BBG)
- Xetra Dax enters correction territory (FT)
- China trade shrinks amid slowing demand (FT)
- Greek government eyes compromise with lenders, rules out snap polls (Reuters)
- If You Think Greece’s Crisis Will End Soon, Think Again (BBG)
- China growth data ‘overstated’ due to data error (FT)
- Calpers to Cut External Money Managers by Half (WSJ)
Why has the dollar jumped in recent weeks? Global conspriacy and lies? Are thousands of investors and participants being deluded?
"Anshu Jain and Jürgen Fitschen, the embattled co-chief executives of Deutsche Bank AG, plan to announce their resignations, according to people familiar with the matter, an abrupt move that throws into question the future direction of one of the world’s largest banks," WSJ reports. John Cryan, former UBS CFO, is reportedly in line to take the helm.