"The [Chinese] slowdown was predictable, predicted, unavoidable," Lagarde was quoted as saying." Well, yes, it was... by everyone but the IMF. Here is the history of the IMF's Chinese GDP growth forecasts taken straight from its World Economic Outlook quarterly pieces. The graph needs no explanation.
Courtesy of Evercore ISI, which using its own GDP equivalent index - the Synthetic Growth Index (SGI) - we get a vastly different China GDP result from the official one, namely Chinese growth of -1.1% annually. Or rather, contraction.
- No End in Sight for Oil Glut (WSJ)
- Dozens of Clinton emails were classified from the start, U.S. rules suggest (Reuters)
- China August Manufacturing Activity Hits Lowest Level Since 2009 (WSJ)
- German Manufacturing Strengthens as Economy Shifts Up a Gear (BBG)
- Israel responds to rocket attack with protest and air strikes (FT)
- ASX carnage: 2015 fast becoming a year to forget (Canberra Times)
- Hong Kong Stocks Enter Bear Market After Falling From April Peak (BBG)
News That Matters...
Athletes in next year's Summer Olympics here will be swimming and boating in waters so contaminated with human feces that they risk becoming violently ill and unable to compete in the games. An AP analysis of water quality revealed dangerously high levels of viruses and bacteria from human sewage in Olympic and Paralympic venues — results that alarmed international experts and dismayed competitors training in Rio, some of whom have already fallen ill with fevers, vomiting and diarrhea.
In the middle of the biggest criminal scandal involving the Fed, but also an FT-owned expert network (an FT which until today was owned by Pearson), the expert network known as Medley Global Advisors just changed its owners, from the FT/Pearson to Japan's Nikkei, in a transaction advised by Rothschild for the buyer and Goldman, Evercore and JPM for the seller.
This charmed circle includes Google, Amazon, Baidu, Facebook, Saleforce.com, Netflix, Pandora, Tesla, LinkedIn, ServiceNow, Splunk, Workday, Ylep, Priceline, QLIK Technologies and Yandex. Taken altogether, their market cap clocked in at $1.3 trillion on Friday. That compares to just $21 billion of LTM net income for the entire index combined. The talking heads, of course, would urge not to be troubled. After all, what’s a 61X trailing PE among today’s leading tech growth companies?
- Greece faces last chance to stay in euro as cash runs out (Reuters)
- Tsipras Begins Brussels Campaign to Keep Greece Inside the Euro (BBG)
- Greek Crisis Shows How Germany’s Power Polarizes Europe (WSJ)
- Eurogroup Head Dijsselbloem Calls for ‘Credible’ Greece Package (BBG)
- Europe Not Playing ‘Domino Theory’ Leaves Markets Calm on Greece (BBG)
- China stocks fall again despite support measures (Reuters)
- Chinese Trading Suspensions Freeze $1.4 Trillion of Shares Amid Rout (BBG)
- Crude Creeps Higher After Downturn (WSJ)
From Greek lobbyists to Silicon Valley VCs and from Goldman BSDs to FT reporters, The Bilderberg Group will meet later this week in Tirol to discuss what happens next to the rest of the world... here are the participants...
As we observed yesterday when we showed that if comparing the collapse in China's housing market with that of the US following their respective peaks then China is already a recession, we added that "as shown in the chart below [China] has recently engaged in several easing steps, with many more to come according to the sell-side consensus." Sure enough, just a few hours later, the PBOC announced its second Reserve Requirement Ratio (RRR) for all banks since February 4, when China had its first industry-wide RRR cut since May 2012. The move will be effective Monday, April 20.
- Samaras Says He’d Join Alliance to Keep Greece in Euro (BBG)
- Tensions with Warren camp could loom over Clinton campaign (Reuters)
- Ackman Report on Herbalife in China Figures in Probe (WSJ)
- Al Shabaab storms Kenyan university, 14 reported killed (Reuters)
- Iraq’s Four-Mile Line of Supertankers Fuels Shipping-Rates Surge (BBG)
- Menendez's fate could sharpen Republicans' edge in Senate (Reuters)
- IRS Chief Chides Ted Cruz Over 'Abolish the IRS' Mantra (BBG)
- Yemen Houthi fighters backed by tanks reach central Aden (Reuters)
- Oil holds around $55 as Iran nuclear talks drag on (Reuters)
- Bob Diamond’s African Banking Venture Runs Into Problems (WSJ)
- Iran Nuclear Talks Resume With Lavrov Saying Deal at Hand (BBG)
- Wal-Mart Ratchets Up Pressure on Suppliers to Cut Prices (WSJ)
- Renegades of Junk: The Rise and Fall of the Drexel Empire (BBG)
- Explosion at Yemen factory kills at least 25: residents, medics (Reuters)
- Macerich Rejects Simon Property’s $16.8 Billion Takeover Bid (WSJ)
- Reckoning Arrives for Cash-Strapped Oil Firms Amid Bank Squeeze (BBG)
- Setbacks and progress as Iran, six powers meet to end nuclear impasse (Reuters)
- Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov to Leave Iran Nuclear Talks (WSJ)
- Obama Ramps Up Lobbying on Iran as Deadline Looms (WSJ)
- Greek yields edge up as lenders scrutinise reform pledge (Reuters)
- Oil prices drop on possible Iran deal, dollar (Reuters)
- Yemen’s Houthis Battle for Aden as Saudi Strikes Hit Rebels (BBG)
- Iran nuclear deal to see $20 oil if Tehran floods crude market (Telegraph)
- China’s Zhou Says PBOC Has Room to Act on Growth Slowdown (BBG)
- Google's new CFO to make $70 million (WSJ)
- Senate passes Republican budget with deep safety net cuts (Reuters)
- With Yemen strikes, Saudis show growing independence from U.S. (Reuters)
- Banks Slash Dividends as Loans Sour From Beijing To Pearl River (BBG)
- North American Railroads Caught by Speed of Crude-Oil Collapse (BBG)
- Japan’s Zero Inflation a Setback for Abenomics (WSJ)
- Cooperman Says U.S. Seeks Information About Omega Trades (BBG)
- Germans Tired of Greek Demands Want Country to Exit Euro (BBG)
- Weak euro powers European stocks to new highs (Reuters)
- Siemens Cheers Euro Slump as Emerson Eases Dollar’s Sting (BBG)
- A Police Gadget Tracks Phones? Shhh! It’s Secret (NYT)
- If Economists Were Right, You Would Have a Raise by Now (BBG)
- iWatch: who’s going to pay $17K for a device that will be obsolete in two years? (Barrons)
- Ferguson Suspect Said to Claim He Wasn’t Firing at Police (BBG)
- Why Bankers Are Leaving Finance for No-Salary Tech Jobs (BBG)