- No change in Greek debt talks after another day of spin (Reuters)
- G-7 Weighs In on Greece as Government Told to Be Serious (BBG)
- FIFA Faces Mounting Pressure From Sponsors as Visa Threatens to End Deal (WSJ)
- U.S. hopes Chinese island-building will spur Asian response (Reuters)
- Japan Inc.’s $104 Billion Investor Payout Set to Surge (BBG)
- Russia masses heavy firepower on border with Ukraine (Reuters)
- China Says Its Most-Wanted Fugitive Is in U.S. Custody (BBG)
"Total hero to me; total hero... Not necessarily [for] what he exposed, but the fact that he internally came from his own heart, his own belief in the United States Constitution, what democracy and freedom was about."
- FIFA Raided by Swiss Authorities in 2018, 2022 World Cup Probe (BBG)
- Companies Send More Cash Back to Shareholders (WSJ)
- Time Warner Cable Deal Stirs Debt Concerns (WSJ)
- Qatar $200 Billion World Cup Under More Scrutiny Amid FIFA Probe (BBG)
- Philippine, Vietnamese troops play soccer and sing on disputed island (Reuters)
- The G-7's Problem: Can the World Deal With a Greek Default? (BBG)
- SocGen Deal for Bache Illustrates Commodity-Trading Woe (WSJ)
- China’s Naval Abilities Test Asia’s Insecurities (WSJ)
"We begin then by saying without equivocation that we have changed our mind again regarding equities... Hence in our retirement funds here we reduced very slightly our long position in Apple directly and then wrote near-the-money calls against the remaining position. Further, we sold just out-of-the money calls against the “tanker” shares we owned, and we used the money taken in from those calls to buy more derivatives sufficient to take us back to market neutrality."
A video showing a car attempting to park but actually plowing into journalists resulted because the Volvo’s owner chose not to purchase the "optional extra" preventing the car from slamming into pedestrians.
There’s only one question that matters today in markets: why is the government bond market going up and down like a yo-yo? How is it possible that the deepest and most important securities in the world are currently displaying all the trading stability of a biotech stock?
- Developed-Country Growth Slows, OECD Says (WSJ)
- Charter Agrees to Buy Time Warner Cable for About $55 Billion (BBG)
- Dollar hits one-month high as periphery woes weigh on Europe (Reuters)
- IMF Says Yuan No Longer Undervalued Amid Reserve-Status Push (BBG)
- Hanergy secured $200m loan ahead of solar group stock tumble (FT)
- Congressional Inaction Threatens NSA Spy Program (WSJ)
- Germany sees progress on Greece, EU officials to confer on Thursday (Reuters)
- Hayes ‘motivated by greed’, prosecutor says in Libor case (FT)
- Whistleblowers Find SEC Rewards Slow and Scarce (WSJ)
The music industry was the first entertainment business to confront the digital transition, although, as Goldman notes, it was not exactly a willing pioneer... It wasn’t until 2004 when Apple iTunes debuted that consumers grew more and more primed to free music; and after a small bump in sales in 2004 from the launch of iTunes, the declines resumed as the double whammy of album unbundling and a 30% wholesale price cut took its toll. From 2004 to 2014, US music unit and dollar sales declined cumulatively by another 50%, erasing US$5 bn in annual sales.
One year ago, we explained "How The Market Is Like CYNK." Earlier this week, China's richest man found out how right we were, in the hardest way possible
- U.S. vows to continue patrols after China warns spy plane (Reuters)
- Bank of Japan Chief Cheers On Tokyo’s Surging Stocks (WSJ)
- Merkel Stamps Out Optimism on Greece After Tsipras Talks (BBG)
- Greece sees reforms deal with lenders in next 10 days (Reuters)
- Why Greece’s Syriza party is not sticking to the script on an IMF deal (Channel4)
- Why Does Putin Care Who Runs a Tiny Balkan Nation? Gas Pipelines (BBG)
- U.S. Stock-Index Futures Are Little Changed Before Yellen Speech (BBG)
- German Business Confidence Declines as Risks Cloud Outlook (BBG)
- Once-Unthinkable Criminal Pleas by U.S. Banks Get Investor ‘Meh’ (BBG)
- The E-Mail That Helped Catch Barclays: ‘ISDAfix Is Manipulated’ (BBG)
- CFTC Said Preparing ISDAfix Probe Talks in Weeks: Credit Markets (BBG)
- Islamic State takes control of Syria's Palmyra in westward advance (Reuters)
- Tensions High as Greece Gets Smallest Aid Rise Yet (BBG)
- The Rise of the $50,000 Rental (BBG)
- U.S. says South China Sea reclamations stoke instability (Reuters)
- First Hanergy Now Goldin: Hong Kong Stocks Drop Like Stones (BBG)
"Do no evil..." that is part from the racist stuff, would appear to be Google's new meme as The Guardian reports the somewhat unbelievable fact that searches which include the racist slur “nigger” were shown to find the White House in Google Maps. “Some inappropriate results are surfacing in Google Maps that should not be, and we apologise for any offence this may have caused. Our teams are working to fix this issue quickly,” a Google spokesperson said, claiming that it had been experiencing “escalated attacks to spam Google Maps over the past few months”.