Today is Veterans Day, which has been observed under its current name since 1954 and honors all American veterans.
The quiz below, from the Ashbrook Center at Ashland University, Ashland, Ohio, provides an opportunity for you to test your knowledge of this national holiday, its origins, and the role of veterans in our national life.
1. Before 1954, the American holiday honoring veterans was called what?
A: Flag Day
B: Armed Forces Day
C: Armistice Day
D: Memorial Day
2. November 11 was chosen for what reason?
A: Fighting during World War I officially ceased
B: Treaty of Versailles was signed
C: Uniform Holiday Bill designated the date
D: Official ceremony unveiling the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier took place
3. According to U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs estimates, there were how many living veterans in the United States as of September 30, 2018?
A: 8.3 million
B: 11.1 million
C: 14.3 million
D: 19.6 million
4. Approximately how many of these veterans served during World War II?
C: 1 million
D: 3.5 million
5. As early as 1789, the federal government began providing what benefit to veterans?
A: Health care
D: Burials in national cemeteries
6. Which president signed legislation making the Veterans Administration the Department of Veterans Affairs, giving it official Cabinet status?
A: Herbert Hoover
B: Franklin D. Roosevelt
C: Dwight D. Eisenhower
D: Ronald Reagan
7. All of the following countries honor veterans on November 11 except this country?
8. According to the most recent data available, approximately what percentage of veterans are women?
A: 3 percent
B: 6 percent
C: 9 percent
D: 14 percent
9. Which president said the following of Veterans Day: “On that day let us solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us reconsecrate ourselves to the task of promoting and enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain.”
A: Dwight D. Eisenhower
B: Lyndon Johnson
C: George H.W. Bush
D: George W. Bush
10. Which of the following celebrities is not a veteran?
B: Robert Redford
C: Chuck Norris
D: Gary Sinise
* * *
1-C; 2-A; 3-D; 4-B; 5-B; 6-D; 7-A; 8-C; 9-A; 10-B.