Police Unleash Tear-Gas To Quell Riots In Charlotte After Police Shoot, Kill Black Male - Live Feed

Large protests are taking place in Charlotte...

As ABC30 reports, protesters gathered in Charlotte on Old Concord Road and police in riot gear are on the tense scene after police shot and killed a person carrying a gun Tuesday afternoon at a Charlotte apartment complex, officials said.

The member of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department that was involved in the shooting has been identified as Officer Brentley Vinson. As is standard procedure with any officer involved shooting, Vinson has been placed on paid administrative leave. Vinson has been employed with the CMPD since July 21, 2014 and is currently assigned to the Metro Division.


The man fatally shot was identified as Keith Lamont Scott. His family has been notified of his death. Both the officer and the dead man were identified by police as African-American.


Charlotte-Mecklenburg police officers were at the complex about 4 p.m. looking for a suspect with an outstanding warrant when they encountered the person - not the suspect they were looking for - inside a car, the department said in a statement.


The person exited the car with a gun, and then got back in, the statement said. When officers approached the car, the person got out of the car with the gun again.


At that point, officers considered the person a threat and fired their weapons. Police Chief Kerr Putney told reporters at the scene that at least one officer shot the person.

At least 100 protesters gathered to demonstrate the shooting Tuesday night. Police blocked access to the area, which is about a mile from the campus of the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. As Charlotte Observer reports,

Police fired tear gas late Tuesday at several hundred people protesting an officer-involved fatal shooting in the University City area earlier in the day.


Several dozen police officers in riot gear faced off with the shouting protesters on Old Concord Road at Bonnie Lane.


A CMPD helicopter was circling very low over the crowd with a searchlight illuminating the protesters. Old Concord Road was shut down, with people standing in the middle of the road.

At 10:53, police donned gas masks after a half-dozen water bottles were thrown. Tear gas was soon deployed.

Live Feed:

Alternate Live Feed:


This just about summed it up...