Preface: I’ve slammed Trump when I thought he might appoint bad guys. But there’s now cause for celebration.
Trump has purportedly offered General Michael Flynn a post as National Security Advisor.
This is GREAT news …
Flynn – a 3-star general – is former head of the Defense Intelligence Agency and director of Intelligence for the Joint Special Operations Command.
Why do we like Flynn?
- Said "What we have is this continued investment in conflict. The more weapons we give, the more bombs we drop, that just… fuels the conflict. Some of that has to be done but I am looking for the other solutions"
- Said "We definitely put fuel on a fire [by going into Iraq]. Absolutely… there is no doubt, history will not be kind to the decisions that were made certainly in 2003. Going into Iraq, definitely… it was a strategic mistake."
- He has called for greater accountability for US soldiers involved in abuses against Iraqi detainees: "You know I hope that as more and more information comes out that people are held accountable… History is not going to look kind on those actions… and we will be held, we should be held, accountable for many, many years to come."
- Admitted that drone assassinations create more damage than good . He didn't disagree with a reporter's suggestion that drones tend to create more terrorists than they kill
- Blew the whistle on the U.S. complicity of “the West, Gulf countries and Turkey” in the rise of ISIS
I am hopeful that Flynn will help overturn decades of Neocon and Neoliberal warmongering...