In a press conference held moments ago by Brazil's embattled president Michel Temer, unable to scapegoat the latest political scandal rocking Brazil on Russia, he said that contrary to what some were expecting, he would not resign as he has "nothing to hide", and that he "never bought anyone's silence", meaning that once again Brazil is faced with the daunting prospect of having a painfully unpopular president who will most likely be impeached, yet who refuses to step down voluntarily, or quietly.
Here are the highlights from his brief address to the nation via BBG:
- TEMER: I WANT TO MAKE DECLARATION
- TEMER: I REQUESTED TO HEAR AUDIOS FROM BRAZIL TOP COURT
- TEMER: YESTERDAY'S REVELATION BROUGHT BACK GHOST OF POL. CRISIS
- TEMER: WE CAN'T THROW OUT OUR WORK
- TEMER: I NEVER AUTHORIZED BRIBES TO STAY QUIET
- TEMER: I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING TO HIDE
- TEMER: I NEVER BOUGHT ANYONE'S SILENCE
- TEMER: I WILL NOT STEP DOWN
- TEMER: I WILL NOT RESIGN
Temer also said the he will fight the corruption charges in court, which means that instead of reform, Brazil now faces a long, painful legal process in which the highly unpopular president will instead focus on preserving his career, even as the formal impeachment protocol was started earlier today with a filing by the Brazilian opposition.
The Brazilian Real, having regained some lost ground during the day, dropped again during the Temer address.