Daily Highlights: 10.1.2010
- BOE won't extend or replace its special liquidity scheme when it expires in early 2012.
- China's Manufacturing expands at faster pace as recovery sustains momentum.
- Crude oil trades near highest in seven weeks on signs of improving demand.
- Ecuador declares state of emergency; dubs protests an attempted coup d'état.
- Geithner says no threat of trade war with China or world currency conflict.
- IMF warned that reducing budget deficits, is likely to cut growth and raise unemployment.
- India's manf activity expanded at a slower pace in September, at 55.1 vs. 57.2 in August.
- ISM-Chicago's business barometer climbed to 60.4 in Sept- beating all estimates.
- Japan Consumer prices fell 1% in August as Yen strengthens, Economy slows.
- Japan's deflation eases, unemployment rate falls in signs recovery intact.
- Portugal yields hit 13-year high on budget dispute.
- U.S. postal service denied request for a 5.6% average rate increase by regulator.
- Accenture posts Q4 net of $510M vs. year-ago's $306M amid absence of charges.
- Accenture sees current quarter revenue at $5.6-5.8B vs. cons est. of $5.62B.
- AIG credit-default swaps reach pre-crisis low after US accord.
- AZZ Inc. beats by $0.09, posts Q2 EPS of $0.80 as revs rose 4.6% to $99.6M.
- BancFirst announces agreement to acquire OK Bancorporation.
- Domtar sells mill for $60M.
- DuPont: pursuing takeovers of cos. involved in food production and alternative energy.
- GE wins Indian defense deal valued at $800M.
- Gymboree Corp. is exploring the possibility of a sale to private equity firms.
- H.B. Fuller announces $100M share repurchase program.
- H-P named former SAP executive Leo Apotheker as its new chief executive.
- India rejects RIM proposal in security row.
- MetLife: Interest rate of 2.5% on 10-yr Treasuries would reduce 2011 EPS by $0.20.
- Microsoft to unveil 3 smartphones using new version of Windows mobile OS on Oct 11.
- NEC bid $1B for Cogent before 3M, filing shows.
- Novartis to pay $422.5M to resolve criminal, civil charges that it illegally marketed Trileptal.
- Severstal to buy back $450M of dollar bonds.
- US Treasury sells 5% Citigroup stake, boosts proceeds to $16.4B.
Economic Calendar: Data on Personal Income & Spending, PCE Prices, U Michigan Consumer Sentiment, Construction Spending, ISM Index, Auto Sales to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ALAN, AMN, BCBP, FSBI, GMTC, JXSB.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
CENTURYLINK INC (CTL)
FERRELLGAS PARTNERS LP (FGP)
NEWMONT MINING CORP (NEM)
GREENBRIER COS INC (GBX)
JOY GLOBAL INC (JOYG)
EXPRESS SCRIPTS INC (ESRX)
DUKE ENERGY CORP (DUK)
PROTECTIVE LIFE CORP (PL)
PENSKE AUTOMOTIVE GROUP INC (PAG)
CRH PLC (CRH ID)
MOLSON COORS BREWING CO (TAP)
HEALTHSOUTH CORP (HLS)
Data provided by Egan Jones