Daily Highlights: 10.15.09
- Asian stocks advance on earnings speculation; treasuries, dollar decline.
- China's direct investment from abroad climbs 18.9% to $7.9B as global slump eases.
- DJIA again topped the 10,000 mark after Wednesday's 144.80-point rally.
- Dollar falls to 14-month low versus Euro on better earnings, stock rally.
- Fed says some FOMC members were open to expanding mortgage bond purchases.
- Industrial prodn in Euro Zone rose for the fourth straight month in August.
- Oil hits one-year high above $75 as stocks rally.
- Retail sales in US drop 1.5% - less than forecast; in sign of emerging recovery.
- Social Security to announce no COLA.
- Abbott Lab's Q3 net rises 36% to $1.48B; revs down 1.6% at $4.06B.
- Acer takes the second place in the global PC market last quarter; Dell is third.
- AIG's aircraft-leasing chief, Udvar-Hazy may spend $4.5B to start rival plane-leasing firm.
- ASML posted a profit in Q3 of €19.7M - after three consecutive quarters of losses.
- BAE Systems sees significant write-offs of goodwill on loss of US contract.
- BASF AG's Q3 revs totaled €12.8B ($18.98B), down 19% YoY.
- Benq Corp. says 2010 China LCD TV sales may rise 10-fold to 300,000 sets.
- Crédit Agricole became the latest of France's main banks to say it will repay state aid.
- Eli Lilly sells Indiana plant to Evonik Industries; terms undisclosed.
- GM expects its sales in China this year to exceed 1.6M units, a 47% increase YoY.
- Goldman's Sept. net income rises from $845M last year to $3.2B this year.
- Japan Air Corp under pressure on concern banks may resist debt write-offs.
- JP Morgan reported a $3.6B quarterly profit on growth in investment banking.
- National Amusements to sell stock in CBS Corp., Viacom worth ~$945M, to repay debt.
- Nokia Corp. has reported a loss of euro559M in the 3Q as sales dropped 20%.
- Opel Union agrees on pay freeze, clearing way for sale of GM unit to Magna.
- Oversea-Chinese Banking Corp. said to buy ING Asia Private Bank for $1.5B.
- Progressive Corp. swung to a Q3 profit, earning $269.9M on investment gains.
- Roche says 3Q sales rose 14 percent to 12.4 billion Swiss francs ($12.24 billion) from 11.3 billion francs.
- WW Grainger Inc.'s Q3 net rises 2.9% to $144.6M on an investment gain. Revs dip 14%.
- Xilinx beats by $0.03, posts Q2 EPS at $0.25. Revs fell 14.2% to $415M.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions
EXPEDIA INC (EXPE)
RIO TINTO PLC (RIO LN)
TECO ENERGY INC (TE)
CMS ENERGY CORP (CMS)
INTEL CORP (INTC)
ABBOTT LABORATORIES (ABT)
JPMORGAN CHASE & CO (JPM)
INGERSOLL-RAND PLC (IR)
JOHNSON & JOHNSON (JNJ)
COMVERSE TECHNOLOGY INC (CMVT)
CISCO SYSTEMS INC (CSCO)
BLACK & DECKER CORP (BDK)
SCOTTS MIRACLE-GRO CO/THE (SMG)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics