Daily Highlights: 10.19.09
- Asian currencies advance for a seventh week as growth, yields draws funds.
- Asian stocks fell as losses at Casio, Yaskawa Electric spook expectations of recovery.
- Business-Jet demand likely to skid before recovering: Honeywell Intl.
- China’s economy grew by over 7% in the first nine months of the year: Govt official.
- China's regulator urged 5 biggest state lenders to maintain a 'reasonable pace' of lending.
- China's growth exceeds 7 pct in January-September, will easily hit 8 percent target.
- Dubai to meet with possible fixed income, Islamic investors as it struggles with debt load.
- Euro declines as officials may show concern over currency's recent gains.
- EU Commission offers euro280 million in extra aid for dairy farmers as protests increase.
- Housing, Leading index probably gained in signs US expansion has begun.
- Oil extends rally in Asia, jumps above $79 to 2009 high.
- Treasury said US ran its biggest budget deficit since World War II - at $1.4 trillion.
- Antitrust enforcers investigating whether Toys "R" Us stifled competition by competitors.
- ABB expects increase in Q3 net profit to around $1 billion despite cartel, tax, other charges.
- BofA posted a $1B loss in Q3 on continued exposure to bad loans, weak US consumer.
- Chevron CEO warns on Oil supply shortfall, reiterates 2009 capex plan of $22.8B.
- Chinese property company Evergrande Real Estate to raise $780M in Hong Kong IPO.
- CIT Group amends $29B debt exchange to add support, avoid collapse.
- Cnooc in talks with StatoilHydro ASA over a deal for a few leases in Gulf of Mexico.
- Continental AG said to consider bond sale in refinancing of $5.2B debt.
- Dutch court declares regional bank DSB bankrupt, ending hopes of sale or bailout.
- GE, Vivendi are about $500M apart in talks over what Vivendi should be paid for its stake in NBC Universal.
- GM should reconsider Opel bids amid questions over Germany's aid, EU says.
- Halliburton's Q3 profit falls 61% to $262M; revs down 26% to $3.59B.
- Iraq approves a $15B oil deal with BP and CNPC to develop an oilfield in south Iraq.
- JAL shares surge nearly 12 percent on report of government bailout plan.
- Lehman says negotiators knew Barclays got $5B discount on purchase.
- Mattel Inc.'s Q3 earnings fell 3.5% to $229.8M amid weak international sales.
- National Express Group gets a proposal from Stagecoach Group for a $2.8B merger.
- NBC Universal Q3 net jumps 13% to $732M on gain on A&E Channel sale.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions
ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES INC (AMD)
MATTEL INC (MAT)
ALLEGHENY TECHNOLOGIES INC (ATI)
HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC (HOG)
BANK OF AMERICA CORP (BAC)
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS (IBM)
GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE)
PINNACLE ENTERTAINMENT INC (PNK)
VALASSIS COMMUNICATIONS INC (VCI)
CITIGROUP INC (C)
SAFEWAY INC (SWY)
ALTRIA GROUP INC (MO)
MCCLATCHY CO/THE (MNI)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics