Daily Highlights: 10.29.09
- 1,578 jewelry retailers, wholesalers and manufacturers fail in US from Jan-Sept'09.
- Asian share markets continued to fall after US markets sapped investors' appetite for risk.
- Fed is ending Treasury purchases that held down yields, stabilized housing.
- New-Home Sales in US unexpectedly falls 3.6% as end of first-time credit nears.
- Norway lifts key rate to 1.5%, becoming first in Europe to reverse easing.
- ABB says outlook remains uncertain as revenue, orders slump.
- Aetna 3Q rose 18% on gains in both commercial and Medicare enrollment.
- AMR said to seek deeper ties with Japan Airlines to keep Oneworld together.
- Apollo Group plunges as SEC starts accounting probe into the company.
- AXA revenue slipped 2% at end-September as US business suffers.
- Bank of China 3Q profit surged 18.8% amid a stimulus-fueled economic rebound.
- ConocoPhillips's Q3 net falls 71% to $1.5B on weak refining margins, lower prices.
- Ford picks China’s Geely as preferred bidder for Volvo unit.
- France Telecom's Q3 profit slides 8% as revs fell 6.7% to€12.7B amid economic slump.
- General Dynamics' Q3 net falls 9.8% to $572M, beats est.; ups Y09 EPS f'cast.
- GlaxoSmithKline's Q3 profit rose 30% to $2.18B after currency gains boosted revenue.
- Goodyear Tire f'casts operating loss in North America this quarter.
- Hitachi posts $562M net loss in 2Q.
- Mazda expects a loss of 17 billion yen ($188M) in the 12 months ending March 31.
- Motorola's Sept. quarter: from a $397M loss last year to a $12M gain this year.
- Newmont's profit climbed to $388M compared with $191M a year ago.
- News Corp., Scripps among frontrunners for Travel Channel with offers of $800M.
- Nintendo cut its annual profit forecast 23% on lower sales.
- PetroChina's Q3 profit falls 24% on oil price, misses estimates.
- Shell's third-quarter profit declines 62% on lower oil, natural gas prices.
- Sprint Nextel's Sept. quarter: from a $326M loss last year to a $478M loss this year.
- SPX Corp. lowered its full-year earnings forecast after Q3 profit fell 61% to $46M.
Economic Calendar: Data on GDP, Initial Claims, Continuing Claims to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ABB, ABX, AEP, AET, AGL, AN, AYE, CL, DB, DTE, EGN, ELY, GNW,
IM, K, MFE, MOT, NRG, PCG, PDE, RDEN, UHS, XEL.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions
NEWELL RUBBERMAID INC (NWL)
CIT GROUP INC (CIT)
NEW YORK TIMES CO/THE (NYT)
BEMIS CO INC (BMS)
VALERO ENERGY CORP (VLO)
FLEXTRONICS INTERNATIONAL (FLEX)
UNITED STATES STEEL CORP (X)
AK STEEL HOLDING CORP (AKS)
GMAC INC (GM1)
SEALED AIR CORP (SEE)
UNITED TECHNOLOGIES CORP (UTX)
VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC (VZ)
THOMAS & BETTS CORP (TNB)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics