Daily Highlights: 11.10.09
- Asian stocks, currencies climb as reports show demand spurred by stimulus.
- China to overlook calls for stronger yuan as exports fall, researchers say.
- China's house prices rise at fastest pace in 14 months, government says.
- EU objects to Oracle's takeover of Sun.
- Japan's government is set to reach a decision on a rescue package for Japan Airlines.
- OPEC sees signs of oil demand in the U.S.
- Advanta Corp. files for bankruptcy, may turn over its banking unit to regulators.
- Berkshire is liquidating its stakes in Norfolk Southern, Union Pacific Corp.
- China Petroleum & Chemical Corp., and PetroChina rose in HK trading after the
- Government increased gasoline and diesel prices for the first time in 2 mos.
- Dish Network's Q3 net fell 12% to $81M despite posting rise in subscriber growth.
- EchoStar swung to Q3 profit of $293.9M on lack of year-ago impairments. Revs down 22%.
- Electronic Arts to buy Playfish Inc., a maker of games played on Facebook, for $400M.
- Eni will respond Nov. 27 to allegations it restricted European pipeline competition.
- EU issued a statement of objections on Oracle's proposed $7.4B acquisition of Sun Micro.
- Fannie Mae may write down value of tax credits after Treasury vetoes deal.
- Fluor Q3 earnings fall 11% to $162.1M, hurt by oil & gas operations. Revs down 4.5%.
- HSBC's bad debt charges declining in the US.
- Insurers such as WellPoint Inc. and Blue Cross Blue Shield and drugmakers are redoubling their efforts to fight proposals to overhaul the US health-care system.
- Kraft begins hostile Cadbury offer, sticking with original $16B bid.
- Maxis Comm said to sell more than $3B of stock in Malaysia's largest IPO.
- McDonald's global same-store sales rose 3.3% in Oct, falls 0.1% in US.
- MBIA reported a Sept. loss of $725M compared to an $806M loss last year.
- Pfizer to close six of its 20 research sites, in the latest round of cost cutting moves.
- Priceline.com profit quadruples; Q4 EPS view tops estimates.
- Sempra Energy's Q3 net rises 3% to $317M, revs fell to $1.85B from $2.69B.
- Sodexo,full-year profit gained 4.5%.
- Sprint to cut as much as 6% (2,500) of jobs as subscriber rolls shrink.
- Tesoro Corp.'s Q3 earnings drop 87% to $33M on a 45% fall in revs to $4.74B.
- Toys "R" Us' Q3 same-store sales fell 9% on weak videogame sales.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
UNISYS CORP (UIS)
RADIOSHACK CORP (RSH)
KRAFT FOODS INC (KFT)
APPLIED MATERIALS INC (AMAT)
NEWS CORP (NWS)
DIRECTV GROUP INC/THE (DTV)
UNITED STATES CELLULAR CORP (USM)
MCDONALD'S CORP (MCD)
COMCAST CORP (CMCSA)
EOG RESOURCES INC (EOG)
CABLEVISION SYSTEMS CORP (CVC)
ROPER INDUSTRIES INC (ROP)
MAGNA INTERNATIONAL INC (MGA)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics