Daily Highlights: 11.17.09
- Asian stocks fell, commodities declined after Fed voices concern over revival.
- Bernanke signals 'extended' low-rate period may become longer as joblessness rises.
- China shares rise for 3rd day to 14-week high on economic recovery outlook, led by banks.
- Corruption watchdog rules Somalia still worst; Singapore, Denmark, New Zealand best.
- IMF chief urges China to let yuan rise; says weak currency distorting Chinese economy.
- Mauritius buys 2 tons of gold from IMF, following India, as gold nears record as dollar slumps.
- Oil hovers below $79 as investors look to Asian growth to offset US weakness.
- Singapore exports fall 13 percent in October from previous month, reversing growth.
- U.S. regulators have seized or threatened at least 27 banks that received TARP funds.
- Accor SA to make a final call by year end on whether to split its hotel and services units.
- Alvaro de Molina resigned as chief executive of GMAC at the request of its board.
- Assured Guaranty's Q3 loss narrowed to $35M helped by acquisition. Revs up 92%.
- BofA, other banks sued over sales of derivatives by a California public utility.
- Boeing gets first orders at Dubai Airshow for 11 737s from Algeria; Airbus minor wins.
- Buffett nearly doubled his holdings of Wal-Mart in the quarter ended Sept. 30.
- CapitaLand raises $1.79B selling shares in its CapitaMalls Asia Ltd.
- China says Microsoft violated intellectual rights of local company Zhongyi Electronic Ltd.
- CIT Group Inc. posted a loss of $1.03B in Q3 : SEC filing.
- Devon Energy plans to sell all of its assets in Gulf of Mexico, overseas next year.
- Konica Minolta says no plans to counter Canon's $1.1B bid for Oce NV.
- Lehman sues Barclays over $5 'windfall' in bankruptcy acquisition.
- Lowe's Cos. Q3 profit fell 30% to $344M, revs fell 3% to $11.4B.
- Nortel Networks' Q3 loss narrowed to $508M; revs down from $1.6B to $1.05B.
- Pacific Sunwear of California posted Q3 loss of $0.17/sh - 21% wider than expected.
- RF Micro sees FY2010 free cash flow higher than forecast level of $130M.
- Station Casinos loss balloons to $455.4M on bankruptcy effects; rev down 19%.
- SunPower Corp. probes accounting errors, says don't rely on results.
- UBS tells investors it aims for annual $15BN pretax profit in 3-5 years.
Economic Calendar: Data on PPI, Capacity Utilization, Industrial Production to be released.
Earnings Calendar ADSK, ALOT, COV, CRM, CSIQ, DDS, HD, KEI, LZB, PLNR, RTLX, SKS, TGT, TJX.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
GMAC INC (GM1)
PENN NATIONAL GAMING INC (PENN)
JC PENNEY CO INC (JCP)
COMPUTER SCIENCES CORP (CSC)
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORP (APC)
DEVON ENERGY CORP (DVN)
DOLLAR GENERAL CORP (DG)
KOHL'S CORP (KSS)
LOWE'S COS INC (LOW)
ALLIANCE ONE INTERNATIONAL (AOI)
REYNOLDS AMERICAN INC (RAI)
UNIVERSAL CORP/VA (UVV)
WALT DISNEY CO/THE (DIS)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings And Analytics