Daily Highlights: 11.19.09
- Asian stock markets mostly higher Thursday, gold hits another record high.
- China Commercial Aircraft to build homegrown C919 jetliner in Shanghai.
- China shares rise for 5th day on hope domestic consumption will drive new growth
- Euro lower at $1.4880 in European morning trade; Fed comments that rates may stay low.
- Equities in Brazil came under addln pressure on a 1.5% tax on trades in its ADRs.
- French 'Big Loan' to spur growth raises concerns over skyrocketing debt, deficits.
- Gold futures topped $1,150 Wednesday as buyers continued piling into the metal.
- Hong Kong Exchange Chairman Arculli sees 'potential' asset bubbles in Asia.
- Japan stocks down for seventh day as banks hit by dilution worries.
- Oil falls to near $79 in Asia amid mixed signals about strength of global economic recovery.
- Senate Health Bill estimated by CBO to cut deficit $127B, aide says.
- Singapore forecasts 3%-5% growth as economy emerges from deepest recession.
- Lending to UK businesses shrinks in September, 12-month growth at record low.
- Aetna cutting about 625 jobs, will pare more in 2010.
- AmEx to acquire internet-transaction company Revolution Money, for $300M.
- Autodesk expects to post Q4 EPS of $0.24 vs. cons. est. of $0.25.
- BJ's Wholesale Q3 earnings fell 37% amid falling food prices. Revs up 2% to $2.51B.
- Colgate under focus on media reports of merger with Reckitt Benckiser Group Plc.
- DynCorp Intl Inc. admits that it may have violated the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
- German chipmaker Infineon 4Q net income rises sharply to $21M.
- Limited Brands posts unexpected Q3 profit of $14.9M, boosts Y09 EPS f'cast.
- Manulife Fincl Corp. to sell as much as $2.7B in new stock to build up capital.
- Pfizer Inc. plans to release generic drugs in Japan as early as 2011.
- Phillips-Van Heusen's Q3 net rises 40% to $83.6M; sales fell 4% to $697M.
- SABMiller 1H net profit down 32 percent, hit by currency movements and lower volume.
- Sears Holdings reports a $127M loss for Oct. 2009.
- Sony not sure it will be able to deliver all orders for its E-Reader in time for Christmas.
- State-owned Russian bank likely to take a stake in Rusal IPO- marking first invt by govt.
- Wells Fargo to buy back $1.4B in auction debt from its clients.
Economic Calendar: Data on Initial Claims, Leading Indicators, Philadelphia Fed to be released.
Earnings: ACTI, ADCT, BONT, BRC, CATO, DKS, FL, GPS, IGLD, INTU, NGG, ROST, SSI.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions
BE AEROSPACE INC (BEAV)
TJX COS INC (TJX)
HERSHEY CO/THE (HSY)
JACK IN THE BOX INC (JACK)
BRUNSWICK CORP/DE (BC)
AMBAC FINANCIAL GROUP INC (ABK)
ETHAN ALLEN INTERIORS INC (ETH)
GOODRICH CORP (GR)
DILLARD'S INC (DDS)
GREAT ATLANTIC & PACIFIC (GAP)
BLOCKBUSTER INC (BBI)
SAKS INC (SKS)
TARGET CORP (TGT)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics