Daily Highlights: 11.3.09
- China said to plan review of developer loans on concern at surging prices.
- EU raises 2010 GDP forecast as deficits, jobless soar.
- Euro higher to $1.4800 in European morning trade as ECB expected to hold rate.
- IMF sold 200 metric tons of gold to India's central bank for about $6.7B.
- Korean Won leads Asia currency gains as US data spurs demand for higher yields.
- Most Asian stocks fell as concern over the withdrawal of stimulus measures.
- Oil hovers near $78 in Asia as investors welcome positive US figures.
- US business bankruptcy filings jumped in Oct, reversing 2 consecutive months of declines.
- AIG's Q3 estimates tripled by Credit Suisse on gains in investments, incl in hedge funds.
- Aviva plans to raise $1.8B selling shares of its Dutch unit Delta Lloyd NV in an IPO.
- BMW 3Q net profit falls 74 percent to $115 million as recession saps car sales.
- Burlington Northern to be purchased by Buffett.
- Chesapeake Energy's Q3 net falls 94% on $166M hedging loss, lower revenues.
- Chinese invt group acquires Delphi Corp.'s brake and suspension unit for about $100M.
- Cisco to buy set-top box business of DVN (Holdings) Ltd. of China, for up to $44.5M.
- Clorox beats by $0.16, posts Q1 EPS at $1.11. Revs fell 0.9% to $1.37B.
- CNOOC considering building battery-changing stations for electric vehicles.
- Commerzbank posts Q3 loss of $1.55B, on charges related to Dresdner Bank acquisition.
- Constellation Brands in talks to merge its Australian, UK ops with rival Australian Vintage.
- Duke Energy in talks with Chinese cos on US power investments, for Latin America ops.
- Ford has earnings of $997M, says 2011 will be 'solidly profitable'.
- Ford to raise $3.3B, while paying down and pushing back the maturity of a $10.7B credit line.
- Humana's Q3 net rises 65% to $301.6M on boosts from Medicare Advantage program.
- Lloyds to raise $34B to avoid control by U.K.
- Loews, CNA insurance unit swung to profits in Q3 on significantly lower investment losses.
- Qwest Communications to save $100M via pension, pay freeze.
- Southern Co. to sell about $2.5B of debt next year to refinance existing borrowings.
- Taxpayers unlikely to recover their investment in GM, Chrysler: govt investigators.
- Toyota's October U.S. sales fell from a year earlier, a senior executive said Monday.
- UBS reports fourth straight quarterly loss, missing analysts' estimates.
- UTS Energy to sell for $231M its 50% stake in oil sands leases to Imperial Oil and Exxon Mobil.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
DENBURY RESOURCES INC (DNR)
STANLEY WORKS/THE (SWK)
BLACK & DECKER CORP (BDK)
DOMTAR CORP (UFS)
LOEWS CORP (L)
CUMMINS INC (CMI)
TERRA INDUSTRIES INC (TRA)
COOPER TIRE & RUBBER CO (CTB)
PROGRESSIVE CORP/THE (PGR)
FORD MOTOR CO (F)
CIT GROUP INC (CIT)
ASHLAND INC (ASH)
PROCTER & GAMBLE CO/THE (PG)