Daily Highlights: 1.14.10
- Asian stocks, Aussie, commodities advance as Australia beats jobs estimate.
- Australia's jobless rate unexpectedly falls to 5.5% in December.
- Beige Book: US economic conditions 'improved modestly' in recent week.
- Budget deficit sets December record of $91.85B reflecting fallout from deep recession.
- Computers shipped to US in Oct-Dec quarter rose 24% YoY - IDC.
- Chavez suspends rolling blackouts in Venezuela's capital, sacks electricity minister.
- Eurozone November industrial output up 1 percent, double market expectations
- Germany's economy shrank 5% in 2009 and probably stagnated in Q4.
- NY Fed President said short-term interest rates may remain low for at least 6 mths.
- Obama to announce fee on some large banks to help recover bailout funds.
- Oil prices inched to near $80/bbl as rising fourth quarter earnings cheered crude investors.
- Property prices in China's 70 largest cities were up 7.8% in Dec - Govt Dept.
- Sales in US probably climbed in December as retailers offered discounts.
- UK manufacturing failed to grow for a second straight month in Nov, dampening hopes hopes of a recovery.
- BASF, DuPont said they are putting to rest duelling patent lawsuits.
- Chrysler sales will continue to slump until around June : CEO.
- Clarcor's Q4 earnings falls 15% to $24.7M on a 12% dip in revs to $234.4M.
- El Paso Pipeline Partners LLP prices 8.75M share offering at a discount at $24.48/sh.
- GM to halt Hummer production next week pending sale to the Chinese co.
- Jackson Hewitt Tax Srvcs says it will have only part of its tax-refund loan program in place by Friday's opening of tax season.
- Magna International expects 2010 consolidated sales of $19.5-20.5B.
- Marathon Oil expects refining margins in Q4 at $0.01 per gallon vs. $0.12 last year.
- Massey Energy prepones expansion plans to cater to increasing Asian coal demand.
- Mizuho said to mull Japan's first share rights offering to boost capital.
- SocGen issues profit warning; to incur a $2B hit from risky assets in Q4.
- Zale CEO Neal Goldberg, 2 others leave; Theo Killion takes interim CEO position.
Economic Calendar: Data on Initial & Continuing Claims, Retail Sales, Business Inventories today.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
XCEL ENERGY INC (XEL)
HERSHEY CO/THE (HSY)
WYNDHAM WORLDWIDE CORP (WYN)
SUPERVALU INC (SVU)
HERSHEY CO/THE (HSY)
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORP (APC)
ALTRIA GROUP INC (MO)
HANGER ORTHOPEDIC GROUP INC (HGR)
WORTHINGTON INDUSTRIES INC (WOR)
GENESCO INC (GCO)
FOOT LOCKER INC (FL)
LEGG MASON INC (LM)
PANTRY INC/THE (PTRY)