Daily Highlights: 1.28.10
- Asian stock markets were broadly higher following a rise on Wall Street.
- Brazilian Central Bank keeps its benchmark interest rate at a record low of 8.75%.
- China sets up energy policy body headed by premier amid growing demand, shortages.
- China shares rebound on bargain-hunting after a 4-session decline, led by developers.
- China’s banking regulator told lenders to step up scrutiny of property loans.
- Dutch state and ING appeal EU ruling on payback of aid given during financial crisis.
- Euro stable at $1.4034 in European trade.
- Fed sees end to mortgage-debt buying; Hoenig dissents on low-rate policy.
- IMF sees global economy to rebound sharply this year, with 3.9% growth.
- E*Trade's Q4 loss narrowed to $67.1M as revs improved by 7.6% to $523.4M.
- Altria reports rise in Dec. quarter net from $679M to $725M
- AT&T reports EPS of 51 cents for Dec. quarter, in line with estimates.
- BlackRock's Q4 net surges to $256M on 45% rise in revs to $1.54B.
- Boeing swings to profit of $1.27B on Q4 on 42% rise in revs at $17.94B.
- BSkyB 2nd quarter profit up 38 percent as revenue grows 10 percent.
- Cabot posts Q1 net at $29M (year-ago $4M) as margins improved. Revs rose 4.1% to $679M.
- Caterpillar's Q4 net falls 65%; sees Y10 EPS at $2.50 vs. cons est. of $2.71.
- Crown Castle Intl posts Q4 profit, but expects losses in current quarter.
- Flextronics swings to 3Q profit of $92.9M on cost-cutting measure; revs fall 20% to $6.6B.
- Ford declares $868M Dec. net income.
- JetBlue swung from $57M loss last Dec. to an $11M gain this Sept.
- Lockheed"s Dec. net income rises from $823M to $827M.
- Noble Corp reports Q4 EPS of $1.72 (cons $1.58); revs rose 1.4% to $894M.
- Norfolk Southern's Q4 earnings slipped 32% to $307M on 16% dip in revs at $2.1B.
- Oracle to increase R&D spend by $1.5B billion as a result of its acquisition of Sun.
- Qualcomm Q1 net jumped to $841M from $341M year ago; revs up 6% at $2.67B.
- SAP AG expects to return to growth in 2010, after a year of decline and a 13% fall in Q4 net.
- Siemens to slash some 2,000 German jobs, part of restructuring in technology, manufacturing.
- Teradyne beats by $0.02, posts Q4 EPS of $0.17. Revs rose 37.3% to $267.4M.
- Toyota recalls additional 1.09 million vehicles in US.
Economic Calendar: Data on Initial & Continuing Claims, Durable Orders to be released today.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
EI DU PONT DE NEMOURS & CO (DD)
SONIC AUTOMOTIVE INC (SAH)
PEABODY ENERGY CORP (BTU)
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORP (APC)
AMERICAN EXPRESS CO (AXP)
AMERISOURCEBERGEN CORP (ABC)
MCKESSON CORP (MCK)
XEROX CORP (XRX)
BUNGE LTD (BG)
JOHNSON & JOHNSON (JNJ)
ROCKWELL AUTOMATION INC/DE (ROK)
VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC (VZ)
CORNING INC (GLW)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Rating and Analytics