Daily Highlights: 1.8.10
- Asian stocks gain, led by retailers, Japanese exporters; Copper declines.
- Beijing's per capita GDP expected to top $10,000.
- China central bank hiked interest rate on its 3-month T-bills by about 0.04 point, to 1.3684%
- China's exports may post first gain in 14 months, highlighting Yuan policy.
- Gold declines for second day as dollar gain curbs alternative asset demand.
- India expects GDP to grow at 7-7.5% for the fiscal year ending March 2010.
- Office vacancies in the U.S. surged to a 15-year high in the Q4-- Reis Inc.
- South Korea's central bank keeps key interest rate unchanged at record low.
- US House may tax payrolls, drop wealth levy to finance Health Plan.
- Yen rises from 4-month low after Prime Minister, Hatoyama says rapid moves 'not good'.
- Abercrombie & Fitch's December same-store sales fell steeply by 19%.
- American Airlines raised its offer to invest in Japan Airlines by $300M to $1.4B.
- Amgen under focus after USFDA's plan to re-examine the safety of its anemia drugs.
- Boeing's customers ordered just 142 commercial airplanes last year.
- Constellation Brands' Q3 profit fell 47% on restructuring-related costs, weaker US wine sales.
- Delta Air Lines' December traffic fell 7.5% amid weakness on all routes.
- Dept of Education cited “six findings & one concern” on Apollo Group's financial-aid policies.
- Ferrero SpA in talks with Hershey Co. over possible joint deal for Cadbury PLC.
- Global Payment beats by $0.10, posts Q2 EPS of $0.71. Revs rose 11.7% to $409M.
- Google raised its offer to acquire On2 Technologies to roughly $132M up from $106.5M.
- Japan Air slumps for third day on report government may support bankruptcy.
- JC Penney December same-store sales fell 3.8%; sees Q4 EPS at $0.77-0.82 (prev $0.83).
- Lawson Software f'casts Q3 EPS that missed cons est., to buy Healthvision Solns for $160M.
- Lennar Corp.'s CEO sees a trend in rising prices; co. to be profitable this year.
- Li Ka-Shing's Hutchison offers to buy out telecom unit for $545M.
- Marriott sees Q4 revs per available room outside N. America fell 14-16%.
- RBS to sell part of its asset-management business to Aberdeen for £84.7M.
- Reliance Industries hikes bid amt to $13.5B from earlier $12B for stake in LyondellBasell.
- Saks Inc. said its sales in stores open at least a year rose 9.9% in December.
- TJX Cos.' Dec. same-store sales rose 14%; sees Y10 EPS at $2.72-2.74 (prev $2.55-2.61).
- Wal-Mart De Mexico 2009 sales up 10% to record MXN269.4B.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
SMITHFIELD FOODS INC (SFD)
ALLEGHENY ENERGY INC (AYE)
LENNAR CORP (LEN)
MEADWESTVACO CORP (MWV)
ROCK-TENN CO (RKT)
GREAT PLAINS ENERGY INC (GXP)
AEP INDUSTRIES INC (AEPI)
ALLERGAN INC/UNITED STATES (AGN)
MONSANTO CO (MON)
TEMPLE-INLAND INC (TIN)
TENNECO INC (TEN)
CROWN CASTLE INTERNATIONAL (CCI)
GENERAL DYNAMICS CORP (GD)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics