Daily Highlights: 2.11.10
- Asian shares were higher Thursday, with China's more benign than feared inflation data.
- Australia job growth surges, unemployment rate falls; Aussie dollar strengthens.
- Bernanke says Federal Reserve may opt to raise discount rate 'before long'.
- China's January loans rises to $203B, property prices surge as banks extend more credit.
- EU to lay groundwork for Greek aid summit package in push to shield Euro.
- Health groups urge U.S. states to increase cigarette taxes by $1 a pack
- U.S. foreclosure filings rose 15% in January from a year earlier
- Affiliated Managers Grp to buy Pantheon Ventures, a UK investor in PE funds, for ~$775M.
- Air France-KLM predicts Q4 loss; shares drop most in 9 months
- Boston Scientific plans sweeping restructuring moves, includes eliminating up to 1,300 jobs.
- BT Group Shares fall most in almost a year on regulator's pension concerns
- China indicts four Rio Tinto employees for bribery after seven-month probe.
- Credit Suisse swung to Q4 profit of $5.6B, expects strong 2010 on higher client activity.
- Danone's 2009 net income rises 4% to €1.36B, misses analyst f'cast of €1.51B.
- Dean Foods posts 24% drop in Q4 net, sees Y10 EPS of $1.54-1.64 (cons $1.69).
- Diageo first-half operating profit slides 6%
- Dow Jones & Co. to sell 90% stake in its stock market index unit to CME Group for $607.5M.
- EDF's 2009 net profit rises 12% to €3.9B, sees 'strong' EBITDA growth in 2010.
- Huatai Securities raises $2.3B in China's biggest IPO in 2010, prices it at the lower end.
- Lennar completes transactions with the FDIC to acquire ~$3.05B of real estate loans.
- Lions Gate Ent is interested in buying Disney's Miramax unit.
- Marsh & McLennan's Q4 net falls 53% on $435 in charges related to a bid-rigging scandal.
- Motorola to halt sale of its set-top box business, spin it off with its mobile-phone division.
- New York Times Co. reported Q4 advt sales fell 15%, said the ad market is still “challenging.”
- PNC Financial completes payback of $7.6B in TARP bailout aid.
- Renault has $4.3B loss, forecasts 10% European market contraction
- Ryder announces new $100 mln share repurchase program.
- Sprint Nextel narrowed Q4 loss to $980M, adds fewer customers. Revs fell 6.7% to $7.87B.
- Sun Life of Canada increased Dec. quarter profits from C$146M in 2008 to C$317M in 2009.
- Telstra's 1H net falls 3.3% to $1.64B under stiff competition. Revs down 2.5%.
Economic Calendar: Data on Initial Claims, Retail Sales to be released.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
MILLIPORE CORP (MIL)
PULTE HOMES INC (PHM)
DELTA AIR LINES INC (DAL)
PIONEER NATURAL RESOURCES (PXD)
CRANE CO (CR)
CON-WAY INC (CNW)
ILLINOIS TOOL WORKS INC (ITW)
CVS CAREMARK CORP (CVS)
BELO CORP (BLC)
HARMAN INTERNATIONAL (HAR)
ALLIANT TECHSYSTEMS INC (ATK)
POLO RALPH LAUREN CORP (RL)
MGM MIRAGE (MGM)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings And Analytics