Daily Highlights: 3.1.10
- Buffett sees US housing recovery by 2011, prices below 'bubble' levels.
- Car makers on Tuesday are expected to report disappointing U.S. sales for February, mainly due to snowstorms.
- China's manufacturing growth slows in Feb, PMI falls from 55.6 in Jan to 52.0.
- Copper rises most in 11 months as Chile earthquake cuts power, halts mines.
- Crude near $80 a barrel after 9.3% monthly rise.
- Europe demands Greece cut budget deficit as Bloc crafts $34B rescue.
- Greece loses Kokusai as investors demand 7% on bonds.
- Greece now, U.K. next as Scots investors ready for 20-30% plunge in pound.
- Japan stocks advance on US economic growth, commodity prices.
- Berkshire's Q4 net rises to $3.06B \on the recovery of derivative bets.
- China $125B health spending spurs GE, Philips boon in imaging sales.
- Ecolab hikes its share repurchase authorization of up to 10M shares.
- Fannie Mae to seek $15.3B in aid from US Treasury after posting losses for 10 consecutive quarters.
- Google claims Microsoft is involved in disparate antitrust actions against it.
- HSBC posts smaller-than-estimated gain in 2009 profit to $5.83B.
- HSBC France sells Paris headquarters for 400M euros.
- Merck KGaA to buy biotech-equipment maker Millipore for $7.2B, incl debt.
- Montpelier re purchases 6.9M of its common shares in a private transaction .
- Pearson lifts dividend as profit rises 46% to $645M.
- Prudential Plc said in talks to buy AIG Asian Life unit for $30B.
- QBE Insurance plans to acquire commercial insurance ops of ING Groep.
- SanDisk increased its Q1 sales forecast to between $925M-$1B.
- Tata Motors swings to Q3 profit of $141M on Jaguar/Land Rover rebound.
- Vivendi quarterly adjusted profit falls 28% to $643.3M.
Economic Calendar: Data on Personal Income & Spending, Construction Spending , ISM Index to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ABM, ANN, AZO, BIG, BWS, CFI, CIEN, CNO, CRMT, CWST, GB, HBC, ISLE, MBI, PAY, SATS.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
TRW AUTOMOTIVE HOLDINGS (TRW)
GAP INC/THE (GPS)
BEMIS CO INC (BMS)
MOHAWK INDUSTRIES INC (MHK)
CHIQUITA BRANDS INTERNATIONAL (CQB)
IRON MOUNTAIN INC (IRM)
SEARS HOLDINGS CORP (SHLD)
SHAW GROUP INC/THE (SHAW)
EQUIFAX INC (EFX)
DRESSER-RAND GROUP INC (DRC)
CKE RESTAURANTS INC (CKR)
GENERAL ELECTRIC CAPITAL (GELK)
SILGAN HOLDINGS INC (SLGN)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics