Daily Highlights: 4.12.10
- Asian stocks rise as Greece rescue, US data boost risk appeal.
- Bank of Korea raises growth forecast to 5.2%, fastest pace in four years.
- Brazil's real poised to rise as rate increase spurs carry trade.
- Chicago to sell $1.2B O'Hare bonds as issuance recovers.
- China import surge triggers trade deficit, adds pressure to scrap Yuan peg.
- Chinese watchdog eyes local loan books; state cos borrow heavily for pet projects.
- Euro strengthens as stocks, commodities gain on Greek rescue; Bonds fall.
- Greece wins $61B loan pledge from Euro states to restore confidence.
- Greek banks surge in Athens trading after European aid package.
- Oil rises above $85 in Asia as European countries offer massive bailout loan to Greece.
- Thai shares fell as much as 4.5% as investors reacted to the weekend violence in Bangkok.
- AIG unwounds majority of its remaining swap deals with Goldman; to take a $1.5-2B hit.
- Apache Corp. in final talks to buy Devon’s assets in the Gulf of Mexico for $750M.
- Constellation Brands' Q4 sales dropped 3.6% to $708.7M; losses narrowed to $51M.
- EC conditions on Kraft - Cadbury deal; Kraft to sell Poland and Romania candy lines.
- Macarthur shares gain on report Xstrata bidding to join battle for control.
- Mirant and RRI Energy plan to merge in an all-stock deal.
- Novartis can resume sales of King’s Skelaxin muscle relaxant, a U.S. judge said.
- Palm said to put itself up for sale, hires Goldman, Qatalyst to find buyer.
- Rusal swung to a net profit of $821M last year mainly because of debt restructuring.
- UBS says it will swing to a Q1 profit before taxes of at least $2.35B from a year-earlier loss.
Economic Calendar: Data on Wholesale Inventories to be released today.
Money Market: $26B Three-month and $27B Six-month Treasury Bills auctions today.
Earnings Calendar: ACU, ASRV, CHKE, CHP, CTBI, FSBK, GRO, JBHT, KMR, MYE, PFIN, PLCM, STBC.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
BROWN SHOE CO INC (BWS)
AMBAC FINANCIAL GROUP INC (ABK)
MCKESSON CORP (MCK)
GENWORTH FINANCIAL INC (GNW)
HCA INC/DE (HCA)
SHAW GROUP INC/THE (SHAW)
GAP INC/THE (GPS)
TARGET CORP (TGT)
EXXON MOBIL CORP (XOM)
US AIRWAYS GROUP INC (LCC)
MANPOWER INC (MAN)
KOHL'S CORP (KSS)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics
- advertisements -