Daily Highlights: 4.19.10
- Asian stocks fall the most in two months on Goldman Sachs probe.
- China’s currency appreciation may help it to overtake Japan.
- China told banks to stop loans for third-home purchases in cities.
- EU and IMF to discuss new austerity steps.
- European shares lower, airline shares fall.
- Home sales, goods orders probably rose, showing US recovery sustainable.
- SEC, after Goldman, to investigate other firms that may have mislead investors.
- New Shanghai index futures spark heavy short selling; HK stocks hit 3-wk low.
- Oil plunges below $82.
- Venezuela gets $20B loan from China, forms oil venture, Chavez says.
- Yen rises as Goldman probe, Greece concern boost safety demand.
- AMD swings to Q1 profit of $257M as revs gained 34% to $1.57B.
- Areva close to finalising €3B fundraising; Mideast and Asian investments expected.
- British Airways loses 20M pounds a day in revenues, analysts say
- Canada's TD Bank Financial Group acquires operations of three failed institutions in Florida.
- Disney said to be near Deal with Weinsteins, Burkle for Miramax.
- First Horizon National Corp.'s Q1 loss narrowed to $12.7M on lower loan-loss provisions.
- Gannett's profit jumps 51% reflecting cost cuts and less precipitous declines in sales.
- GE's Q1 profit drops 31% to $1.95B on discontinued operations. Revs down 4.8% at $36.6B.
- Goldman Sachs denies SEC charges that it has deceived clients by selling them mortgage securities secretly designed by John Paulson.
- Goldman Sachs faces probes in Britain, Germany after US files fraud suit.
- L’Occitane Ltd. may raise as much as $707M in a Hong Kong initial public offering.
- Macarthur Coal says Citic (which holds 22.4% stake) is yet to support Peabody bid.
- Philips Q1 beats expectations, shares at 23-month high.
- Shenandoah Telecom to buy cable operations of JetBroadband Holdings LLC for $148M.
- Toronto-Dominion may make additional Florida buys.
- Toyota said to agree to pay record $16.4M US fine on auto recalls.
Economic Calendar: Data on Leading Indicators to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ACI, AMLN, ASRV, BJS, BRO, C, CCK, CF, CTBI, HAL, HAS, IBM, LLY, LNCR, PFIN, STBA, STLD, Y.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
GANNETT CO INC (GCI)
ORACLE CORP (ORCL)
MATTEL INC (MAT)
GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE)
APACHE CORP (APA)
ADVANCED MICRO DEVICES INC (AMD)
TW TELECOM INC (TWTC)
E*TRADE FINANCIAL CORP (ETFC)
INTERNATIONAL SPEEDWAY CORP (ISCA)
JB HUNT TRANSPORT SERVICES (JBHT)
YUM! BRANDS INC (YUM)
PLAINS EXPLORATION & (PXP)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Anlaytics