Daily Highlights: 4.21.10
- Airlines lost over $1.7 billion from ash cloud disruptions over Europe, industry says.
- Americans see US autos topping Asian competitors.
- Asian stock markets gain on US corporate earnings, jump in oil price.
- Chinese bank watchdog orders quarterly tests on property loans.
- IMF proposes bank tax to fund bail-outs.
- Oil jumps above $84 in Asia as stocks rally on earnings.
- SEC considering rules that prevent banks to temporarily lower their debt levels before quarterly reports.
- Stocks, currencies gain on earnings optimism; Euro weakens on Greece talks.
- AIG said to be lead insurer of Goldman Sachs board against investor suits.
- Apple issues mixed guidance for Q3, sees EPS of $2.28-2.39 (cons $2.70);.
- Boeing's March quarter earnings decline from $610M to $519M.
- BHP faces SEC probe after finding possible corruption at mining projects.
- Apple shares touch new high after iPhone sales push 2nd-quarter net income up 90 percent.
- Chrysler reports $197M 1Q net loss, but says cash has grown to $7.4 billion.
- Coke's Q1 profit rose 20% to $1.61B, boosted by its emerging markets sales.
- Elpida Memory Inc. reported its first annual profit in 3 years, as chip sales rebounded.
- Goldman Sachs says SEC's fraud case hinges on actions of single employee.
- Google said to be in talks to buy travel software maker ITA for $1B.
- Huntington Bancshares swings to a first-quarter profit from a year-earlier net loss.
- J&J reported a 29% increase in Q1 profit on the settlement of a patent dispute. Sees healthcare reforms reducing 2010 revs by $400-500M.
- McDonald's March earnings rise from $980M to $1.09B.
- Ryder's March quarter earnings rise from $6.8M to $12.4M.
- Stryker reports Q1 EPS of $0.80 vs. cons est. of $0.78; revs rose 12.4% to $1.8B.
- Tupperware beats by $0.14, posts Q1 EPS of $0.76. Revs up 20.4% at $557.1M.
- Waste Connections beats by a cent, posts Q1 EPS of $0.35. Revs up 17.1% at $307.5M.
- Wells Fargo's Marchearnings declined from $3.05B last year to $2.55Bthis year.
- Wynn Resorts said its would build a major new casino in Macau's Cotai area.
- Yahoo's Q1 net more than doubled to $310.2M on gains from sale of Zimbra. Revs flat at $1.6B.
- Zale Corp. plans to sell a minority stake to Golden Gate Capital Corp.
Economic Calendar: Data on Crude Inventories to be released today.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
AK STEEL HOLDING CORP (AKS)
SNAP-ON INC (SNA)
PEPCO HOLDINGS INC (POM)
COCA-COLA CO/THE (KO)
CRANE CO (CR)
JOHNSON & JOHNSON (JNJ)
EATON CORP (ETN)
GOLDMAN SACHS GROUP INC/THE (GS)
SUPERVALU INC (SVU)
PRUDENTIAL FINANCIAL INC (PRU)
STANDARD PACIFIC CORP (SPF)
KONINKLIJKE PHILIPS (PHIA NA)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics