Daily Highlights: 5.26.10
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics
- Asia stocks, copper, oil rebound on speculation China's demand to increase.
- Bernanke says central banks must be free from politics to prevent crises.
- China shares flat amid Europe debt woes.
- Durable goods orders, Home sales probably rose as US recovery broadens: survey.
- Euro declines third day on concern European budget cuts will damp growth.
- Geithner to discuss with European finance officials efforts to promote continued economic recovery.
- German consumer confidence down due to unsettled euro.
- Greece discusses privatizations as finance ministry investigates its own for tax evasion.
- Italy's largest unions unhappy with euro24B in cuts aimed at avoiding Greek tragedy.
- Oil rises to near $70 a barrel in Asia, US gasoline supplies drop.
- S&P/Case-Shiller report: Home prices fell 0.5% in March from the prior month.
- Yuan cedes spotlight as US-China talks focus on North Korea, Europe debt.
- AutoZone's Q3 earnings jumped 17% to $202.7M; revs up 9.9% at $1.82B.
- BHP, Xstrata Group offers $4B for Australian Coal Railroad Network.
- Blockbuster's debt-reduction talks pause on disagreement over size of cash-injection.
- Campbell Soup's Q3 profits fell 3.4% to $168M on health-care overhaul and other items.
- Dell is developing a tablet computer called Streak to rival iPad.
- Dycom Industries' Q3 profit down 78% on lower revenue, margins.
- FDA warned J&J unit about problems reported with certain sterilization devices.
- Fidelity National Info Srvcs' Board approves stock repurchase of up to $2.5B.
- Foster's Group outlined plans to demerge its beer and wine operations.
- Magna Intl plans to invest $600M on new plants for making lithium-ion batteries.
- Medtronic's Q4 net rises as $530M in acquisitions charges skewed prior-year results.
- OAO Gazprom Neft's Q1 net more than doubled to $727M, helped by stronger oil prices.
- TiVo's Q1 loss widened to $14.2M on mounting R&D, patent-litigation costs.
Economic Calendar: Data on Durable Orders, New Home Sales & Crude Inventories to be released.
Earnings Calendar: AEO, BMO, BWS, FRED, JAS, NDN, NTAP, PAY, SCMR, TOL, ZLC.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
NATIONAL AUSTRALIA BANK LTD (NAB AU)
AUTOZONE INC (AZO)
SEAGATE TECHNOLOGY (STX)
REYNOLDS AMERICAN INC (RAI)
MOLSON COORS BREWING CO (TAP)
ALTRIA GROUP INC (MO)
ALTRIA GROUP INC (RAI)
EMC CORP/MASSACHUSETTS (EMC)
PHILLIPS-VAN HEUSEN CORP (PVH)
WILLIAMS COS INC/THE (WMB)
BAKER HUGHES INC (BHI)
CAMPBELL SOUP CO (CPB)