Daily Highlights: 6.1.10
- Asian stocks fall on Japan political concern, China growth.
- China's manufacturing expands at slower pace as economic growth moderates.
- China supercomputer named second-fastest in global list.
- ECB expects additional $239.26B in write-downs by European banks.
- ECB states rating firms aggravates crisis.
- Euro-zone unemployment tops 10% in April.
- Euro moved lower against USD, Yen, on German Pres. Köhler's unexpected resignation.
- Evans says Fed could delay ending low rates.
- German unemployment declines twice as fast as forecast on rising exports.
- Japanese industrial output rose a seasonally adjusted 1.3% in April from a month earlier.
- Japan's PM Hatoyama to discuss future with Ozawa as support slumps.
- Oil hovers below $73 in Asia.
- Reserve Bank of Australia Tuesday left its cash-rate target on hold at 4.50%
- Steel prices set to fall in Europe on economic problems, slowdown in demand.
- Twelve of Spain's 45 savings banks have begun merger talk.
- US, EU scrutinize shipping rates for any evidence of price fixing.
- AIG says won't accept lower Prudential offer for Asian insurance business AIA.
- Deadline extended in contract negotiations between Alcoa, United Steelworkers.
- Apple said it sold two million iPads in less than 60 days after it was introduced.
- BP tumbles most in 18 years after abandoning attempt to plug leaking well.
- Healthscope received two new bids valuing the company at $1.56B.
- Honda offers strikers in China 24% pay boost.
- Hynix raises capex spending by 32% to $2.5B, ends ties with Numonyx.
- Nomura more than tripled pay to top managers last fiscal year as it returned to profit.
- Prudential fails in bid to reduce price of AIA takeover, jeopardizing deal.
- Ryanair back in profit for full year.
Economic Calendar: Data on Construction Spending, ISM Index to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: BNS, CMN, GIII, KCAP, LGF, PSS, TRU.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
HJ HEINZ CO (HNZ)
US BANCORP (USB)
UNIVERSAL CORP/VA (UVV)
TOYS R US INC/OLD (TOY)
EXXON MOBIL CORP (XOM)
WEYERHAEUSER CO (WY)
GOODYEAR TIRE & RUBBER (GT)
CHEVRON CORP (CVX)
BRITISH AMERICAN TOBACCO (BATS LN)
COSTCO WHOLESALE CORP (COST)
DELUXE CORP (DLX)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics