Daily Highlights: 7.1.09
- Consumers' confidence in economy unexpectedly falls in June, halting a 3-month upward trend.
- Dow Jones industrial average rose 11% during the quarter, while the S&P 500 index surged 15.2%.
- FDIC to propose tough guidelines for PE investors seeking to buy failed banks.
- Home prices fall 0.6% as rate of decline slows.
- IMF’s board of directors plans to issue as much as $150B of bonds.
- Japan’s largest manufacturers rose less than estimated in June, signaling the economy may be slow to recover.
- ANZ says to seek RBS assets in Hong Kong and Singapore.
- US Home Prices fall 0.6% as rate of decline slows; June Consumer Confidence falls to 49.3 vs 54.8.
- Bank of New York Mellon Corp. acquires minority stake in International Derivatives Clearing Group, a unit of Nasdaq.
- BG Group pays $1B for stake in Exco Resources' shale-gas assets in Texas.
- Chrysler cash losses 'slowed down' after restructuring: CEO Marchionne.
- Exelon Corp. cancels plans for now to build a New nuclear plant in Texas.
- Fifth Third Bancorp completed sale of a stake in its processing business, adding $1.2B in Tier 1 common equity.
- Freddie Mac to name Charles E. Haldeman Jr. as its new chief executive.
- Gannett to cut between 1,000-2,000 jobs out of its 41,500-work force in response to continuing newspaper revenue declines.
- Mizuho Financial Group will raise as much as 655B yen ($6.8B) from selling shares after local and overseas investments depleted capital.
- Oshkosh wins $1.05B contract for blast-proof trucks: Pentagon.
- Pfizer said it discontinued phase 3 trial of its Sutent cancer drug.
- Porche's €1.75B loan request rejected by KFW Group.
- Sealy Corp. swings to a loss in Q2 of $5.2,m as revs fell 20% to $298.5M.
Economic Calendar: Data on Construction Spending, ISM Index, Pending Home Sales, Crude Inventories, Auto Sales to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: STZ, DMAN, GIS, LNN, UNF, UNFY.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions: HERSHEY CO/THE (HSY) ARCHER-DANIELS-MIDLAND CO (ADM) KING PHARMACEUTICALS INC (KG) HOSPIRA INC (HSP) H&R BLOCK INC (HRB) ASHLAND INC (ASH) TRW AUTOMOTIVE HOLDINGS CORP (TRW) KIMBERLY-CLARK CORP (KMB) HJ HEINZ CO (HNZ) MICRON TECHNOLOGY INC (MU) MCCORMICK & CO INC/MD (MKC) LENNAR CORP (LEN) CONAGRA FOODS INC (CAG)
Data provided by: Egan-Jones Rating Action