Daily Highlights: 7.20.09
- Euro hits $1.42 level-- highest level against the dollar since early June.
- Leading Index, Home Resales probably rose in sign recession easing.
- IRS has stepped up scrutiny of offshore accounts and foreign income.
- Regulators shut 2 banks in California, 2 banks in Georgia, South Dakota, boosting total to 57.
- Barnes & Noble cuts publishing staff as it hunts for efficiencies.
- Citigroup's Q2 net income of $4.3B includes $6.7B after-tax gain.
- CIT said to consider $3B financing offer from largest bondholders.
- CNOOC, Sinopec to buy 20% stake in Marathon's oil field off Angola's coastline for $1.3B.
- Continental AG sales fell 28% to 4.76 billion euros in 2Q.
- Google's growth continued to slow in Q2 - signs of online ad market still in slump.
- Hasbro's June net income rose from $37M last year to $39M this year.
- Las Vegas Sands said to plan Hong Kong IPO application in early August.
- Mattel's 2Q net rises 82% on cost cuts; revs slip 19% to $898.2M.
- Microsoft said to be close to collaboration with Yahoo on web-search, ads.
- Nissan will start producing batteries for electric cars, hire 350 workers.
- Porsche CEO may lose control under VW deal.
- Red Hat Inc. to replace CIT Group on the S&P 500 Index.
- SAP AG offered to buy SAF for euro11.50 ($16.22) a share.
- Wyeth to vote on acquisition by Pfizer Inc.
Economic Calendar: Data on Leading Indicators to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: BRO, BSX, CACH, ETN, FWRD, GAP, HAL, HAS, ICUI, JCI, LM, LNCR, MDRX, MTB, PETS, STBA, TXN, ZION.
Companies to watch: Allscripts-Misys, Boston Scientific, Brown & Brown, Cache, Eaton, GAP, Halliburton, Hasbro, Johnson Controls, Legg Mason, Lincare Hldgs, M&T Bank, PetMed Express, Texas Instruments, Zions Bancorp.
Recent Egan-Jones Rating Actions:
WESTERN UNION CO/THE (WU)
GENERAL ELECTRIC CO (GE)
PPG INDUSTRIES INC (PPG)
MATTEL INC (MAT)
MARRIOTT INTERNATIONAL INC/DE (MAR)
HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC (HOG)
INTERNATIONAL BUSINESS (IBM)
PACKAGING CORP OF AMERICA (PKG)
JABIL CIRCUIT INC (JBL)
AAR CORP (AIR)
CENTURYTEL INC (CTL)
CINTAS CORP (CTAS)
Data provided by: Egan-Jones Ratings And Analytics