Daily Highlights: 7.21.10
- Asian stocks gain on Apple profit; Dollar drops before Bernanke testimony.
- BOJ Deputy Yamaguchi says volatility rising in sign of Japan recovery risk.
- China stocks rise for 3rd day on new energy, domestic consumption policies.
- Finance Ministry sells 7-year China bonds at 2.76% yield, trader says
- Oil rose above $78 a barrel.
- Senate set to approve extension of US unemployment benefits for millions.
- U.S. Census Bureau said single-family housing starts in June fell by 0.7%.
- Apache confirms it will accquire BP assets in Permian Basin, Canada and Egypt for $7B.
- Apple Inc.'s quarterly profit surged 78%, as revenues climbed 6% to $15.7B.
- Airgas's June net income rose from $55M to $65M.
- Biogen Idec's Q2 net more than doubled; ups full year EPS view to 'more than $4.70'.
- Boston Scientific reported 38% fall in Q2 profits to $98M as revs fell 6.7% to $1.93B.
- BP to sell $7 billion of assets to Apache to help pay for Gulf spill cleanup
- China's Camelot Information starts trading prices IPO at low end of range.
- Coca Cola's July net income up from $2.0B last year to $2.4B this year.
- Gilead Sciences' Q2 profit rose 25% to $712.1M as revs rose 17% to $1.93B.
- Goldman Sachs' profit falls 82% to $613M, misses estimates on trading-revenue drop.
- Mitsubishi UFJ said it may spend more than $5.7B to acquire more U.S. banks.
- Nokia bags $7B contract to deploy & maintain a new U.S. mobile broadband network.
- PepsiCo's earnings dropped 3% to $1.6B amid costs to integrate its bottlers.
- Ryanair remains cautious for 2010 balance, posts 24% decline in Q1 profits.
- Sara Lee Corp. is exploring a sale of its struggling North American bakery business
- SLM Corp posted Q2 EPS of $0.39 per share, $0.10 better than consensus est. of $0.29.
- TD Ameritrade's Q2 earnings rose 5.2% to $179.4M, beating analysts' estimates.
- Texas Instruments' Q2 profit tripled, but revenue came in below consensus estimates.
- Toyota subpoenaed again to submit docs related to problems with steering relay rods.
- UAL Corp's Q2 profit soared to $273M amid a 28% rise in revenue at $5.2B.
- United Rentals beats by $0.55, posts Q2 EPS of $0.25. Revs fell 9.4% to $557M.
- UnitedHealth Group's Q2 net rises 31% to $1.12B, on lower costs. Revs up 7%.
- Yahoo revenue of $1.13B, fell short of analysts' estimates on lower ad sales
Economic Calendar: Data on Crude Inventories to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ABT, AMR, APH, ARG, BLK, CA, DOX, EBAY, ECA, EMC, ETN, GENZ,
GSK, HBI, ISIL, KO, MO, NVEC, QCOM, SBUX, TROW, TSCO, UTX, WFC.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
OMNICOM GROUP INC (OMC)
BANK OF NEW YORK MELLON (BK)
MILLICOM INTERNATIONAL (MICC)
JOHNSON & JOHNSON (JNJ)
HARLEY-DAVIDSON INC (HOG)
MCMORAN EXPLORATION CO (MMR)
MOTOROLA INC (MOT)
DELL INC (DELL)
HALLIBURTON CO (HAL)
DELTA AIR LINES INC (DAL)
HASBRO INC (HAS)
DELTA AIR LINES INC (DAL)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analyltics