Daily Highlights: 7.29.09
- Home Prices in US cities post monthly rise; consumer confidence declines.
- Japan stocks edge up amid corporate earnings, investors await US GDP data.
- Shanghai's index fell by 5% on disappointing corporate profits, lower commodity prices.
- US dollar mostly higher, gold falls in European morning trading.
- Akzo Nobel 2nd quarter net profit down 13 percent to $220M, shares rise on margins.
- AIG unit keeps $2.4B from asset sales as taxpayers wait for payment.
- American Fincl ups FY09 EPS f'cast to $3.80-4.10 from prev. view of $3.70-4.00.
- Arcelor Mittal misses by $0.36, reports revs in-line; expects 3Q09 EBITDA of 1.4-1.8B.
- Baxter announces a $2B share repurchase program.
- Bayer reports Q2 profit of $757 million, down slightly from year ago.
- Cadbury profit rises to $513 million on gain from beverage business.
- Chinese construction company, world's biggest IPO of 2009, soars as trading starts.
- Daimler has Q2 loss of $1.51 billion, result beats analyst estimates.
- Ecolab beats by $0.02, posts Q2 EPS of $0.50. Revs fall 8.2% to $1.44B.
- GM, GMAC are eyeing an Aug. 1 return to the auto-leasing market.
- Honda's profit plunges to $79.8M but raises full-year forecasts.
- IBM to buy SPSS for $1.2B ($50-a-share).
- Office Depot posts Q2 loss of $82M, higher than expected; Revs slip 22% to $2.8B.Las
- Vegas-based Station Casinos filed for bankruptcy protection.
- Nissan reports 16.5 billion yen loss in fiscal first quarter, notes some recovery signs.
- Peugeot Citroen posts H1 net loss of $1.37 billion: sees industry slump through 2010.
- Qwest's June net income rose from $188M to $212M.
- Sanofi-Aventis ups Y09 EPS f'casts after reporting a 4.9% rise in Q2 net.
- Sprint Nextel unveiled a $420M deal to acquire Virgin Mobile USA.
- Tata Steel first-quarter net declines to $163 million on lower prices.
- Time Warner's 2nd-quarter profit tumbles 34 percent to $519 million as revenue drops.
- Time Warner Cable 2Q profit rises to $316 million on higher subscription revenue.
- US Steel Corp. f'casts a third straight loss for the current qtr. Q2 loss at $392M.
- Universal Health raises EPS guidance for FY09 to $4.40-4.55 vs. cons. est. $4.17.
- Valero Energy Corp. swung to a Q2 loss of $254M as revs slid 51% to $17.9B.
- Viacom Inc.'s Q2 profit fell 32% to $277M on weakness in its media networks.
Recent Egan-Jones Actions
TEXTRON INC (TXT)
ECOLAB INC (ECL)
BE AEROSPACE INC (BEAV)
OFFICE DEPOT INC (ODP)
AMGEN INC (AMGN)
OLIN CORP (OLN)
CRANE CO (CR)
NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORP (NOC)
RADIOSHACK CORP (RSH)
CORNING INC (GLW)
AMETEK INC (AME)
AGILENT TECHNOLOGIES INC (A)
VERIZON COMMUNICATIONS INC (VZ)
Data provided by: Egan-Jones Ratings And Analytics