- Most major Asian stock markets move lower ahead of US jobs data.
- BoE to inject an addln $85B in new money into the U.K. economy.
- Car shoppers can purchase via $2B 'cash-for-clunkers' program through Aug.
- Initial claims for jobless benefits fell by 38,000 to 550,000 last week.
- Fewer layoffs expected in July as recession winds down, but few new hires.
- German exports up 7 percent on the month in June, biggest rise in nearly 3 years.
- Oil slips to near $71 in Asia as investors eye US unemployment data.
- Payrolls in US probably dropped at a slower pace; Unemployment climbed.
- Retailers posted generally lower sales for last month, but beat estimates.
- Television ad sales skid 15% or more as US networks close upfront deals.
- Allianz's Q2 profit falls 16% to $2.68B on non-life unit.
- Beazer Homes' Q3 loss narrowed to $28M on reduced write-downs, debt-cancellation.
- CBS' Q2 net falls 96% to $15.4M vs. year-ago gain from stake sale. Revs fell 11%.
- China Construction Bank to cut new loans by 70% as risks rise.
- Comcast Corp.'s Q2 profit rose 53%, helped by solid revenue growth and a tax gain.
- DBS Group Holdings' Q2 net drops 15% to $384M on bad-debt charges.
- DirecTV's Q2 net falls 11% to $407M on lower margins. Revs up 8.6% at $5.23B.
- El Paso Corp.'s Q2 earnings fell 59% to $89M as revs decreased 15% to $973M.
- Fannie Mae to draw $10.7B in Treasury capital following 8th straight qtrly loss.
- Frontier Oil Q2 profit falls 16% to $49.8M as revenue falls 38% to $1.1B.
- Japan Airlines' net loss widens to 99B yen from just over 3B yen a year earlier.
- Nvidia's posts Q2 loss of $105.3M; sees Q3 revs 5-7% lower than cons view of $776.5M.
- RBS posts 1st-half net loss of $1.7 billion; makes progress on restructure.
- Target Corp. maintained its woes with a June same-stores sales declining by 6.5%.
- TJX Cos.' beat cons est. with a 4% increase in same-store sales in July.
- Wendy's/Arby's Grp posted a second-quarter profit of $14.9M on improved margins.
- Zale Corp. closed 118 weak-performing stores in Q4; takes in a $50M pretax charge.
Economic Calendar: Data on Hourly Earnings, Nonfarm Payrolls, Unemployment Rate to
be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ABK, ABR, AIG, AYR, AZ, CNK, DNE, EIX, HH, LINTA, MGA, MIR, REIS, TU.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
CENTEX CORP (CTX)
DR HORTON INC (DHI)
KRAFT FOODS INC (KFT)
BAKER HUGHES INC (BHI)
EMERSON ELECTRIC CO (EMR)
PEPSICO INC/NC (PEP)
PULTE HOMES INC (PHM)
ARCHER-DANIELS-MIDLAND CO (ADM)
PEPSIAMERICAS INC (PAS)
PEPSI BOTTLING GROUP INC (PBG)
PEPSICO INC/NC (PEP)
AMERISOURCEBERGEN CORP (ABC)
PRECISION CASTPARTS CORP (PCP)
Data provided by: Egan-Jones Ratings And Analytics