Daily Highlights: 8.2.10
- Asian stocks rose, extending 4 consecutive weekly gains, on improved earnings outlook.
- Banks in Europe’s most indebted nations need to refinance $122B of bonds this year.
- China's manufacturing activity expanded at the slowest pace in 17 month in July.
- European stocks rise on strong manufacturing data, solid start to banking reporting season.
- Executives at US Cos expect revenue improvements in next 12 mts- KPMG Survey.
- German machinery industry sees powerful 62% increase in June orders.
- Iraq to sweeten contract terms for its 3rd bidding round for its natural gas fields.
- Luxury-home prices in central London declined in July for the first time in 16 months.
- Aetna authorizes additional $1B share repurchases.
- Air Liquide's 1H profit rose 13.3% to $883.8M on a 9.7% rise in sales.
- American Electric Power's Q2 dropped 57% on charges. Revs rose 6.3% to $3.4B.
- Banco Santander plans more autonomy to local units by listing its subsidiaries.
- BNP Paribas beat est., posts 31% rise in Q2 profits at $2.74B.
- Boyd Gaming discontinues efforts to acquire station casinos assets.
- CN announces plan to buy back 2M shares through private agreements.
- Fortune Brands' Q2 profit more than doubled to $227.4M as revs rose 9.1% to $1.9B.
- Humana's Q2 net income jumps 21 percent on premiums.
- Linde AG nearly doubles Q2 profit to $322M.
- Loews Corp Q2 net income rises 8% to $366M.
- Merck's Q2 profit falls 52% to $752.4M on merger and restructuring costs. Revs up 92% led by on acquisitions.
- Merger of Rusal and Norilsk Nickel isn't on the cards: company officials.
- Nissan likely lift its FY 2010 EPS f'cast after posting a stronger than expected Q1 profit.
- Pilgrim's Pride's Q2 net falls 38% on lower margins, restructuring charges.
- TNT's net profit plummets 96% to 3M euros, targets restructuring.
- UAE will suspend BlackBerry srvcs in the country starting Oct. 11 as it views its devices as a potential threat to its national security.
- WS Atkins grows US presence with $280M PBSJ buy.
Economic Calendar: Data on Construction Spending, ISM Index to be released today.
Earnings Calendar: ACTU, AES, AGN, B, BNE, CACH, CNA, CPK, FELE, HUM, L, NAVR, NRG, POL, SBAC, VRSN, Y.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
AVON PRODUCTS INC (AVP)
EXPEDIA INC (EXPE)
LOUISIANA-PACIFIC CORP (LPX)
EASTMAN CHEMICAL CO (EMN)
FREEPORT-MCMORAN COPPER (FCX)
CHIQUITA BRANDS INTERNATIONAL (CQB)
NORTHROP GRUMMAN CORP (NOC)
CORNING INC (GLW)
KELLOGG CO (K)
WALT DISNEY CO/THE (DIS)
SCHOLASTIC CORP (SCHL)
BALL CORP (BLL)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics