Daily Highlights: 8.5.10
- Asia stocks rise on Toyota earnings, US growth optimism; Bond risk drops.
- Job growth remains weak in US private sector with payrolls rising 42,000 last month.
- Trichet may start second run at exit as Euro region recovers from crisis.
- AOL's advt sales fell 27% in Q2, swings to a loss on a $1.41B in write-down.
- Aviva first-half profit rises 21% on sales of pensions and savings products
- Barclays H1 profit advances 29% on lower provisions for bad loans.
- Carl Icahn raises his stake in Motorola to 9.99%.
- Commerzbank reported a €352M profit in Q2 on lower loan provisions.
- Conway's June net income down from $33M to $14M.
- Devon Energy's Q2 net more than doubled despite a 3% fall in prodn, on higher prices.
- Deutsche Telekom net falls on U.K. merger costs
- Ethan Allen Q4 loss widens to $26.5M on tax item; swings to profit without items.
- Furniture Brands beats by $0.12, posts Q2 EPS of $0.09. Revs rose 0.4% to $289.5M.
- Harrah's swung to Q2 loss of $274M on customers' reduced appetite for casino visits.
- HSBC's US arm being investigated for possible violations of anti-money laundering rules.
- Intel to change some of its sales practices to settle a federal antitrust lawsuit.
- Merck reports encouraging results for its Hepatitis C treatment.
- Murphy Oil reports Q2 EPS of $1.41 (cons $1.21); revs rose 22.7% to $5.59B.
- News Corp. swung to Q4 profit of $875M as revs rose 5.7% to $8.11B.
- Omnicare's June net income declines from $29M to $12M.
- PartnerRe's Q2 earnings plunged 60% to $190.9M on loss expenses. Revs up 4.3%.
- Polo Ralph Lauren profit leaped 57% to $121M as sales and margins strengthened.
- PulteGroup posts Q2 profit of $76.3M as closings doubled. Revs soared 92% to $1.31B.
- Rio Tinto's H1 profit more than tripled to $5.84B on higher commodities prices.
- Sirius swings to profit in Q2 on 18% higher revenue at $699.8M.
- SkyWest to buy ExpressJet for $133M.
- Sun Life Financial Says second-quarter profit declines to $209M
- Swiss Re swung it Q2 profit of $812M led by improvements in asset management.
- Time Warner Q2 net rises 7.3% on higher sales; boosts its full-year earnings outlook.
- Transocean Q2 net down 12% on lower revs, utilizations and on $267M in insurance.
- Unilever's Q2 profit rises 40%, expects economic growth to remain slow in H2.
- Viacom's June net income rises from $277M to $420M.
- Westar Energy beats by $0.06, reports Q2 EPS of $0.47. Revs rose 5.9% to $495.2M.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORP (APC)
SNAP-ON INC (SNA)
ROPER INDUSTRIES INC (ROP)
THOMAS & BETTS CORP (TNB)
TIME WARNER INC (TWX)
FLOWSERVE CORP (FLS)
BARNES & NOBLE INC (BKS)
DOVER CORP (DOV)
CRANE CO (CR)
CBS CORP (CBS)
PRICELINE.COM INC (PCLN)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics