Daily Highlights: 8.6.10
- Asian shares mixed on Friday, weighed by caution ahead of key U.S. jobs data.
- China's stocks decline on inflation, policy outlook; Developers retreat.
- European stocks advance ahead of jobs data; financial-sector earnings provide a lift.
- US Same-store sales rose 2.9% in July vs. cons est. of 3.1%: Retail Metrics.
- AIG's operating profit rises 17%.
- Allianz's Q2 profit down 46% on lower income from own investments.
- Beazer's orders falls 33%; posts loss of $27.8M despite $55.2M in debt-retirement gain.
- BP finished pumping its well in GOM with cement, effectively sealing it for good.
- Computer Sciences to acquire Bass & Company; terms not disclosed.
- Consolidated Edison's Q2 earnings climbed 22%, raises 2010 EPS outlook.
- Dexia's Q2 net profit falls 12.4% to $327M.
- Fannie Mae posts 12 straight qtrly loss - Q2 loss at $1.2B. Seeks $1.5B from Treasury.
- GM said timing of the auto maker's return to the public markets remains in question.
- Great Plains Energy's Q2 earnings surged 90% higher on higher rates and demand.
- Harman Intl swung to Q4 profit of $133.9M as revs grew 29% to $851M.
- Hess to sell $1.25B of notes with 5.60% coupon maturing on February 2041.
- JC Penney's July same-store sales fell 0.6% vs. expectations for a 3.4% gain.
- KKR, Bain sell NXP Semiconductors in IPO at 46% discount to LBO.
- Kraft gets boost from Cadbury; profit rises 15% to $937M on higher overseas sales.
- Magna swings to profit of $293M as revenue jumps 63%.
- Mohawk Industries' Q2 profit climbed 47% on price increases, cost-cutting benefits.
- Orbitz's Q2 earnings fell 5.3% but beat expectations. Revs up 3% at $193.5M.
- Playboy Entrps's Q2 loss narrowed to $6.2M despite 10% fall in revs to $56M.
- RBS swings to profit of $407.9M as bad-debt charges fall sharply at the British bank.
- Res-Care beats by $0.03, reports Q2 EPS of $0.28. Revs fell 2.3% to $396.1M.
- SAP accepts responsibility for copyright infringement; to pay restitution to Oracle.
- Sotheby's Q2 profit jumps four-fold to $86.2M on strong sales; Margins decline.
- Target's July same-store sales gain of 2%, below analyst expectations for a 2.3% gain.
- Time Warner Cable's Q2 earnings rose 8.2% to $342M on 5.8% rise in revs.
- U.S., Canada work with RIM to avoid BlackBerry bans by other nations.
- Wal-Mart De Mexico July same-store sales up 4.6% from yr ago.
Economic Calendar: Data on Nonfarm Payrolls, Unemployment Rate, Consumer Credit to be released today.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
VULCAN MATERIALS CO (VMC)
TYCO INTERNATIONAL LTD (TYC)
TRINITY INDUSTRIES INC (TRN)
TENNECO INC (TEN)
LEVEL 3 COMMUNICATIONS INC (LVLT)
SMITH & WESSON HOLDING CORP (SWHC)
POLO RALPH LAUREN CORP (RL)
BEAZER HOMES USA INC (BZH)
VIACOM INC (VIA/B)
TIME WARNER CABLE INC (TWC)
WYNN RESORTS LTD (WYNN)
ANADARKO PETROLEUM CORP (APC)
Data provided by Egan-Jones Ratings and Analytics