Daily Highlights: 9.29.2010
- Asian stocks rise to five-month high, Japanese bonds rally.
- Central banks of SKorea, S'pore, Thailand & Indonesia suspected of intervening in foreign exchange markets.
- China’s manufacturing activity accelerated in Sept - the second straight month.
- Gold for December delivery rose to a fresh record above $1,313.00 an ounce.
- Japan's Tankan Index rises least in 18 months as Yen gains, Economy slows.
- US Home prices rose for the 4th straight month in July, but at a slower pace.
- AOL acquires social software start-up Thing Labs; Terms were not disclosed.
- Autozone adds another $500M to stock buy-back.
- Boeing Co. received a contract for 124 F/A-18 fighter jets valued at $5.3B.
- British Airways signs revenue sharing agreement with AMR, Iberia over their transatlantic operations.
- Caterpillar Inc. to build a new assembly plant in China.
- Covance authorizes $250M stock buyback in addition to ~800,000 shares remaining.
- Green Plains Renewable Energy to acquire Global Ethanol for $169.2M.
- HP expects 2011 EPS (excl items) of $5.05-5.15 on sales of $131.5-133.5B.
- HSBC says it has no plan to move its headquarters to Hong Kong from London.
- India court orders closure of Vedanta copper smelter.
- J&J's quality control draws scrutiny over its handling of Tylenol recalls.
- Nintendo cuts full-year net income forecast to $1.08B on strong yen.
- Porsche SE full-year revenue increased 18% to €7.8B.
- Sanofi said to weigh raising its $18.5B takeover offer for Genzyme.
- SEC initiates inquiry into “revenue recognition practices” of Green Mountain Coffee.
- Standard Microsystems f'casts Q3 EPS of no more than $0.43 vs. cons est. of $0.45.
- Toys "R" Us will hire about 45,000 employees to help with the holiday season.
- Walgreen's Q4 net rose 7.8% to $470M on better pharmacy ops. Sales rose 7.4%.
Economic Calendar: Data on MBA Mortgage Applications, Crude Inventories to be released.
Earnings Calendar: AM, ATU, FDO, LBIX, STRZ, WOR, XRTX.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
PENSKE AUTOMOTIVE GROUP INC (PAG)
CRH PLC (CRH ID)
MOLSON COORS BREWING CO (TAP)
HEALTHSOUTH CORP (HLS)
MONSANTO CO (MON)
SEARS HOLDINGS CORP (SHLD)
EXXON MOBIL CORP (XOM)
JABIL CIRCUIT INC (JBL)
CREDIT SUISSE GROUP AG (CSGN VX)
ASBURY AUTOMOTIVE GROUP INC (ABG)
RALCORP HOLDINGS INC (RAH)
GEORGIA GULF CORP (GGC)