Daily Highlights: 9.30.2010
- Asian stocks slump as banks decline on European concern.
- China will speed up introduction of a trial property tax in some cities.
- China Yuan weakens for first time in 13 days on threat of US trade sanctions.
- China tightens limits on lending, plans tax to cool housing prices.
- Eurozone inflation rate up at 1.8% in September.
- Fed Presidents far from unanimous on need for further easing.
- Gold extends rally to another record after Dollar slumps; Silver tops $22.
- German unemployment rate declines to 7.2% in September.
- Ireland said to hold talks to take a majority stake in Allied Irish Banks.
- Japan stock down 2% on strong Yen, weak production data.
- Moody's downgrades Spain's credit rating to Aa1 with outlook stable.
- US House approves $58.4B in NASA spending through 2013.
- Yellen, Raskin win Senate confirmation as Fed Board members.
- Yen's impact on business sentiment may spur Bank of Japan to add stimulus.
- ABB will pay $39.3M to resolve bribery, kickback claims.
- AIG Board said to approve plan for US government to start reducing stake.
- Anglo Irish, Allied Irish may need as much as €14.4B in extra capital: Irish Central Bank.
- BHP, Rio Tinto rethinking a revision to their proposed $116B iron-ore JV in Australia.
- Facebook, Skype in talks to mesh their communications services more closely.
- Family Dollar Stores' Q4 net rises 23% to $74M, beating its own EPS view by 5 cents.
- FedEx says 'tepid' US trails China, India as shipping revives.
- FedEx to increase shipping rates for US domestic, export srvcs by 5.9% next year.
- Goldman raises $2.25B from Industrial & Commercial Bank share sale.
- JPMorgan asks Judges to delay rulings as it reviews foreclosures.
- Liberty Mutual postponed the largest US IPO of 2010, co planned to raise almost $1.3B.
- Stericycle Inc. to buy Healthcare Waste Solns from Altaris Capital for $245M.
- Synnex Corp. said Q4 EPS will be as much as $0.97 vs. cons est. of $0.90.
- Toyota Europe sees sales recovering after recall crisis, profits before volumes.
- UBS not to pay dividends for some time due to Basel-based capital requirement rules.
- VeriFone Systems offered to buy Hypercom Corp. for $5.25/sh ($290M) in cash.
- Western Union reports prelim Q3 revs above consensus; reaffirms FY10 guidance.
Economic Calendar: Data on Q2 GDP, Initial & Continuing Claims, Chicago PMI to be released.
Earnings Calendar: ACN, AEHR, AZZ, CBK, CRAI, GRO, LWSN, MKC.
RECENT RATING ACTIONS
CENTURYLINK INC (CTL)
FERRELLGAS PARTNERS LP (FGP)
NEWMONT MINING CORP (NEM)
GREENBRIER COS INC (GBX)
JOY GLOBAL INC (JOYG)
EXPRESS SCRIPTS INC (ESRX)
DUKE ENERGY CORP (DUK)
PROTECTIVE LIFE CORP (PL)
PENSKE AUTOMOTIVE GROUP INC (PAG)
CRH PLC (CRH ID)
MOLSON COORS BREWING CO (TAP)
HEALTHSOUTH CORP (HLS)
Data provided by Egan-Jones
- advertisements -