Presenting The Complete Generic Fluff That Is The "Gang of Six Plan To Reduce Our Nation's Deficit"
Well it's not a 3 page term sheet. It is a 5 page talking point bulletin full of ridiculous fluff with nothing substantial.
Here is the only immediately actionable prerogative which comes from, you guessed it, Chained CPI and Social Security:
Enacting a $500 billion down payment that would secure immediate deficit savings, while establishing a fast track process for the committees in Congress to specify further savings
- Impose statutory discretionary spending caps through 2015.
- Implement numerous budget process reforms.
- Shift to the chained-CPI (a more accurate measure of inflation) government-wide starting in 2012, along with the following specifications for Social Security: (1) exempt SSI from the shift for five years, and then phase in the shift over the next five years; and (2) provide a minimum benefit equal to 125% of the poverty line for five years. (According to CBO, the shift to chained-CPI would result in the annual adjustment growing, on average, about 0.25 percentage points per year slower than the current CPI.)
- Repeal the CLASS Act.
- Enact concrete policy changes that lock-in additional savings, including freezing Congressional pay and selling unused federal property.
- Require GAO and the Department of Labor to report to Congress on establishing a more effective unemployment insurance trigger.
h/t Crown Thomas