UAE And Qatar Pledge Aircraft In Libya Conflict, As Iran Calls On Saudi, UAE To Leave Bahrain Immediately
According to the BBC, the Gulf Cooperation Council has just gotten involved with the UAE pledging 24 aircraft and Qatar - 4 to 6. It is still unclear if Saudi Arabia will now lead a two front war following its invasion of Bahrain last week. Additionally, Al Jazeera reports that the Libyan authorities had detained one of its reporting teams several days ago when working in west Libya. The channel said, in a report on its website, that the team included two correspondents, one Tunisian and another Mauritanian, and two cameramen, one Norwegian and one British. But most troubling is that per Gaddafi's earlier address to the people he would start arming the civilian population to defend Libya. From Reuters: "Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi said on Saturday he will arm civilians to defend Libya from what he called "colonial, crusader" aggression by Western forces that have launched air strikes against him. "It is now necessary to open the stores and arm all the masses with all types of weapons to defend the independence, unity and honour of Libya," Gaddafi said in a speech broadcast on state television hours after the strikes began. "We call on the peoples and citizens of the Arab and Islamic nations, Latin America, Asia and Africa to stand by the heroic Libyan people to confront this aggression, which will only increase the Libyan people's strength, firmness and unity," he said." Whether that means that UN forces will treat every civilian as a possible enemy combatants will be seen upon the land incursion which should commence within a few days. Unclear if Xe will be involved this time.
And just to show that leading a war on two fronts may not be the best option even for those countries which continue to believe they can endlessly buy the love of their citizens, here is Iran warning Saudi Arabia and the UAE to leave Bahrain immediately. From Xinhua:
The National Security and Foreign Policy Commission of Iranian Parliament (Majlis) issued a statement in support of the Bahraini people and called on Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates to leave Bahrain's soil immediately, the Satellite Press TV reported on Saturday.
"The oppressed people of Bahrain are a part of the Islamic world and the Islamic Republic of Iran feels obligated to support them," the statement was cited as saying on Saturday.
The United States is definitely responsible for the murder of Bahrainis by ordering its "regional mercenaries" to invade the country and repress peaceful protesters, the statement added.
The statement also called on the Organization of the Islamic Conference (OIC) to take serious actions on regional developments.
Bahrain has slammed Iran's "interference" in its internal affairs after the latter communicated with international organizations expressing concern about the situation in the Kingdom.
The BBC has been providing some of the best coverage of the conflict so far. It can be accessed after the jump
- advertisements -