Following his impromptu discussion early this morning with Mario Draghi, Italy's finance minister has proudly stepped before the cameras to discuss the farce that has become Monte Paschi. In a stream of seemingly incredulous hypocrisy, the minister explains that:
- *GRILLI SAYS MONTE PASCHI IS SOLID
- *MONTI BOND HELPED MONTE PASCHI MEET EBA RULES: GRILLI
- *GRILLI SAYS OVERSIGHT OF MONTE PASCHI WAS CONTINUOUS, THOROUGH
- *GRILLI SAYS GOVT AID TO PASCHI NOT TO HELP AN INSOLVENT BANK
- *GRILLI SAYS ITALY BANKING SYSTEM UNIQUE FOR NO BAILOUTS
Indeed, it seems that Juncker-ism has leaked across to all the ministers as a new realm of reality strikes the Italian banking system. So the 'bank is solid', 'aid is not a bailout', and 'water is not wet'.