In a shocking twist for the New Normal, a US judge has actually upheld the constitution...
- New York district judge Shira Scheindlin says New York City "stop-and-frisk" policy violates U.S. constitution -- court ruling
- U.S. district judge Shira Scheindlin says city acted with delberate indifference toward police practice of making unconstitutional stops and conducting unconstitutional frisks
- Judge says city adopted policy of "indirect racial profiling" by targeting racially defined groups for stops
- Judge says city policy resulted in disproportionate, discriminatory stopping of blacks and hispanics, violating equal protection clause
- Judge says city's highest officials "turned a blind eye" to evidence that stops are being conducted in racially discriminatory manner
- Judge orders independent monitor to oversee compliance with policy changes that must be introduced
- Judge says city must adopt written policy specifying circumstances where stops are authorized
- Judge says city must adopt trial program requiring the use of body-worn cameras in one precinct per borough
- Judge says city must set up community-based remedial process under court-appointed facilitator
And the punchline:
- Judge says nypd personnel felt or were aware of pressure to increase number of stops after arrival of nyc mayor bloomberg, nypd commissioner kelly
We hope judge Scheindlin never takes baths or embarks on naval adventures in the near, or long-term, future.