Obama's "You (Didn't) Shut That Government Down" Speech - Live Webcast
3:30 pm on a Friday, check. 4 days away before a possible government shutdown, check. Epic disagreement in the House over everything and anything, check. A president who can read but not really lead, check ("to you, Mr. Yellen"). So what comes next? The president takes the teleprompted podium, of course, and is about to do what he does best: blame the republicans. The only unknown: will the "middle class" people on the podium behind Obama be representative of the (non) deadbeat class whose credit cards have been cut off too?
Highlights (same old, same old):
- "Obamacare is not going to be compromised as part of stopgap budget process"; willing to look at ideas for changes to the law
- "So far Republicans in the House of Representatives have refused to move forward”
- "This grandstanding has real effects on real people,” military won’t get paid; shutdown “would throw a wrench in the gears’ of the economy
- Says House failure to raise the debt ceiling would amount to an "economic shutdown," would have a "destabilizing effect" on the world economy
- "Nobody gets to threaten the full faith and credit of the United States’’ for political reasons
- "Will not negotiate on debt ceiling"
- advertisements -