Jobs Added By Industry: Education, Transportation And Retail Winners; Information And Finance Losers
Curious where the November jobs gains and losses were, broken down by industry? The chart below should explain it all.
- Education and Health +40K, after gaining 30K in October; Job gains occurred in home healthcare services (+12,000) and offices of physicians (+7,000), while nursing care facilities lost jobs (-4,000)
- Transportation: +31K as logistics needs of the holiday season ramped up hiring
- Manufacturing: +27K in November after +16K in October; food manufacturing was +8K, while (channel stuffing of) motor vehicles and parts added anoterh 7K
- Retail trade, that old standby, added another 22K, following 46K additions in October for a total of 68K in the past two months.
- Within the industry, job growth occurred in general merchandise stores (+14,000); in sporting goods, hobby, book, and music stores (+12,000); and in automobile dealers (+7,000). Over the prior 12 months, job growth in retail trade averaged 31,000 per month.
- Financial Activities, or the highest paying jobs, lost 3K after gaining 7K the prior month
- Information, the second highest paying jobs, also lost 1K, after gaining 4K in the prior month
- advertisements -